International Specialisation and Quality Focus on the Machinery Sector
The paper compares the export quality of Italy, Germany, Japan and China. The empirical analysis is based on export unit value for a sample of machinery products exported to the USA over the decade 1996-2006. The results point to four stylised facts. First, Italy, Germany and Japan are positioned in production with high unit value. Second, some evidence of qualitative upgrading of Italian exports is found in the machinery industry. Third, German exports show the highest quality in all the machinery divisions. Finally, China has dramatically increased its medium-high technology exports in the course of the decade, but these are concentrated in the lowest quality segment of the market. Nevertheless, Chinese unit value of machinery exports are rising over time, suggesting a qualitative catching-up. Keywords: Export Quality; Index Numbers; Machinery Sector JEL Classification: C43; F14; L1
Volume (Year): 62 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy|
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.iei1946.it/it/index.php
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Feenstra & Alan Heston & Marcel P. Timmer & Haiyan Deng, 2004.
"Estimating Real Production and Expenditures Across Nations: A Proposal for Improving the Penn World Tables,"
NBER Working Papers
10866, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Alan Heston & Marcel P. Timmer & Haiyan Deng, 2009. "Estimating Real Production and Expenditures across Nations: A Proposal for Improving the Penn World Tables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 201-212, February.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Heston, Alan & Timmer, Marcel P. & Deng, Haiyan, 2007. "Estimating real production and expenditures across nations : a proposal for improving the Penn World Tables," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4166, The World Bank.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Heston, Alan & Timmer, Marcel P. & Deng, Haiyan, 2007. "Estimating Real Production and Expenditures Across Nations: A Proposal for Improving the Penn World Tables," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-95, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Alessia Amighini & Stefano Chiarlone, 2003. "Rischi e opportunità dell’integrazione commerciale cinese per la competitività internazionale dell'Italia," KITeS Working Papers 149, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2003.
- Matteo Bugamelli, 2001. "Il modello di specializzazione internazionale dell'Italia e dei principali paesi europei: omogeneitï¿½ e convergenza," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 402, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- De Nardis, Sergio & Pensa, Cristina, 2004. "How Intense is Competition in International Markets of Traditional Goods? The Case of Italian Exporters," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato Agricoltura di Genova, vol. 57(3), pages 275-304.
- André Sapir, 2005. "Un modello obsoleto? Crescita e specializzone dell'economia italiana," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8122, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:ecoint:0368. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.