The Impact of Memories of High Inflation on Households’ Trust in Currencies
Many Central, Eastern and Southeastern European (CESEE) economies experienced periods of hyperinflation during transition. Given the importance of trust for households’ financial decision making, we analyze how memories of high inflation influence people’s trust in currencies. Individuals who have lived through periods of economic turbulence are more likely to perceive the euro as more trustworthy than the local currency. Individuals who have experienced hyperinflation retain an inclination for a safe haven currency and remain more alert to economic turbulence and prone to distrust currencies in general.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7405
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7499
Web page: http://www.oenb.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuliano, Paola & Spilimbergo, Antonio, 2009.
"Growing Up in a Recession: Beliefs and the Macroeconomy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4365, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paola Giuliano & Antonio Spilimbergo, 2009. "Growing Up in a Recession: Beliefs and the Macroeconomy," NBER Working Papers 15321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giuliano, Paola & Spilimbergo, Antonio, 2009. "Growing Up in a Recession: Beliefs and the Macroeconomy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edgar Feige & James Dean, 2002. "Dollarization and Euroization in Transition Countries: Currency Substitution, Asset Substitution, Network Externalities and Irreversibility," International Finance 0205003, EconWPA.
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises: A New Database," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Markus Knell & Helmut Stix, 2009. "Trust in Banks? Evidence from normal times and from times of crises," Working Papers 158, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Helmut Stix, 2012.
"Why Do People Save in Cash? Distrust, Memories of Banking Crises, Weak Institutions and Dollarization,"
178, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Stix, Helmut, 2013. "Why do people save in cash? Distrust, memories of banking crises, weak institutions and dollarization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4087-4106.
- Thomas Scheiber & Helmut Stix, 2009. "Euroization in Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe – New Evidence On Its Extent and Some Evidence On Its Causes," Working Papers 159, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Helmut Stix, 2002. "The Euro in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE countries) : survey evidence from five countries," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 3(3), pages 33-38, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbfi:y:2012:i:4:b:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Birgit Riedler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.