Fixing the Central Parity and the Evolution of the Currency within the Exchange Rate Mechanism II in the Countries that Joined the Euro Zone
The present paper presents the models used by the countries that joined the Euro zone after 2000, in fixing the central parity and the evolution of the local currency towards Euro, when participating in Exchange Rate Mechanism II (ERM II). It synthesizes the main theories for determining the equilibrium exchange rate. It also presents the modality of putting them into practice in the countries that had already become members of the Euro zone. The better we know the other countries' experience in the respect of the joining process to the Euro zone, the better will Romania be able to prepare itself for adopting the unique European currency. Thus, we will be synthesize the main approaches within literature and also in the economic policy deciders' practice concerning the estimation of the equilibrium exchange rate and implicitly, of the central parity. The paper presents the modality of fixing the central parity and the experience of participating in ERM II for a number of member states that joined the Euro zone after 2000: Greece, Slovakia, Slovenia, Malta, Cyprus and Estonia. For these states we also analyze the evolution of the currency towards Euro while participating in ERM II. Starting from these examples, we explain the advantages and the disadvantages in fixing the central parity over/at/under the value of the exchange rate on the market at the moment of joining ERM II and we underline the problems that might occur in the case of choosing a central parity that is not compatible with the equilibrium value of the exchange rate.
Volume (Year): 2 (2014)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +40-372.177.141|
Web page: http://www.facultateademanagement.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nienke Oomes, 2005.
"Maintaining Competitiveness Under Equilibrium Real Appreciation; The Case of Slovakia,"
IMF Working Papers
05/65, International Monetary Fund.
- Oomes, Nienke, 2005. "Maintaining competitiveness under equilibrium real appreciation: The case of Slovakia," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 187-204, June.
- De Broeck, Mark & Slok, Torsten, 2006.
"Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 368-383, March.
- International Monetary Fund, 2001. "Interpreting Real Exchange Rate Movements in Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 01/56, International Monetary Fund.
- George Kyriacou & Maria Papageorghiou, 2010. "Assessing the Equilibrium Exchange Rate of the Cyprus Pound at the time of Euro Adoption," Working Papers 2010-6, Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Jan Babecky & Ales Bulir & Katerina Smidkova, 2012.
"Sustainable Real Exchange Rates in the New EU Member States: What Did the Great Recession Change?,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(3), pages 226-251, July.
- Katerina SmÃdkovÃ¡ & Jan Babecky & Ales Bulir, 2010. "Sustainable Real Exchange Rates in the New Eu Member States; What Did the Great Recession Change?," IMF Working Papers 10/198, International Monetary Fund.
- Jan Babecky & Ales Bulir & Katerina Smidkova, 2011. "Sustainable Real Exchange Rates in the New EU Member States: What Did the Great Recession Change?," Working Papers 2011/01, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Julia Wörz, 2012.
"Non-Price Competitiveness Gains of Central, Eastern and Southeastern European Countries in the EU Market,"
Focus on European Economic Integration,
Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 27-47.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Julia Woerz, 2012. "Evaluation of Non-price Competitiveness of Exports from Central, Eastern and Southeastern European Countries in the EU Market," Working Papers 2012/01, Latvijas Banka.
- Luca A Ricci & Jaewoo Lee & Gian M Milesi-Ferretti, 2008.
"Real Exchange Rates and Fundamentals; A Cross-Country Perspective,"
IMF Working Papers
08/13, International Monetary Fund.
- Luca Antonio Ricci & Gian Maria Milesi‐Ferretti & Jaewoo Lee, 2013. "Real Exchange Rates and Fundamentals: A Cross‐Country Perspective," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(5), pages 845-865, 08.
- Dumitru, Ionut, 2008.
"Efectul Balassa-Samuelson in Romania
[Balassa-Samuelson effect in Romania]," MPRA Paper 18611, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maeso-Fernandez, Francisco & Osbat, Chiara & Schnatz, Bernd, 2004. "Towards the estimation of equilibrium exchange rates for CEE acceding countries: methodological issues and a panel cointegration perspective," Working Paper Series 0353, European Central Bank.
- Viktors Ajevskis & Ramune Rimgailaite & Uldis Rutkaste & Olegs Tkacevs, 2012. "The Assesment of Equilibrium Real Echange Rate of Latvia," Working Papers 2012/04, Latvijas Banka.
- G. Russell Kincaid & Martin Fetherston & Peter Isard & Hamid Faruqee, 2001. "Methodology for Current Account and Exchange Rate Assessments," IMF Occasional Papers 209, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Isard, 2007. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates; Assessment Methodologies," IMF Working Papers 07/296, International Monetary Fund.
- Marit Hinnosaar & Hannes Kaadu & Lenno Uusküla, 2005. "Estimating the equilibrium exchange rate of the Estonian kroon," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2005-2, Bank of Estonia, revised 10 Oct 2005.
- John Williamson, 1994. "Estimating Equilibrium Exchange Rates," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 17, January.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- De Broeck, Mark & Sloek, Torsten, 2001. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Altar, Moisa & Albu, Lucian Liviu & Dumitru, Ionut & Necula, Ciprian, 2009. "Estimarea Cursului Real de Echilibru si a Deviatiilor pentru Romania," Studii Economice 090706, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Luca Buldorini & Stelios Makrydakis & Christian Thimann, 2002. "The effective exchange rates of the euro," Occasional Paper Series 02, European Central Bank.
- Martins Bitans, 2002. "Real Exchange Rate in Latvia (1994-2001)," Working Papers 2002/01, Latvijas Banka.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nup:jrmdke:v:2:y:2014:i:4:p:21-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cristian-Mihai VIDU)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.