Price Convergence: What Can the Balassa-Samuelson Model Tell Us?
The paper provides a theoretical reference point for discussions on adjustments in price levels and relative prices. The authors present a 'nested' model integrating the Balassa-Samuelson model of the real equilibrium exchange rate with a model of accumulation of capital and with the demand side of the economy. Consequently, they show how the model can be generalised to a case of numerous commodities with different degrees of tradability. The predictions of the model are generally consistent with empirical findings for Central and Eastern European countries. The authors show how the theoretical model can be used for internally consistent simulations of the future convergence process in a transition economy.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Na Prikope 28, 115 03 Prague 1|
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Cihak & Tomas Holub, 2003. "Price Convergence to the EU: What Do the 1999 ICP Data Tell Us?," Working Papers 2003/02, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Ghosal, Vivek, 2000. "Product market competition and the industry price-cost markup fluctuations:: role of energy price and monetary changes," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 415-444, April.
- Brock, Philip L & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1994.
"The Dependent-Economy Model with Both Traded and Nontraded Capital Goods,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 306-325, October.
- Philip L. Brock & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1993. "The Dependent Economy Model with Both Traded and Non-Traded Capital Goods," NBER Working Papers 4500, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Heston & Robert E. Lipsey, 1999.
"International and Interarea Comparisons of Income, Output, and Prices,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number hest99-1.
- Chen, Yi Vivian & Heston, Alan & Lipsey, Robert, 2000. "International and interarea comparisons of income, output and prices," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 363-364, December.
- De Broeck, Mark & Slok, Torsten, 2006.
"Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 368-383, March.
- International Monetary Fund, 2001. "Interpreting Real Exchange Rate Movements in Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 01/56, .
- Bruce Chelimsky Fallick, 1993. "The hiring of new labor by expanding industries," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 139, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robert J. Barro, 1989.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neary, J Peter & Purvis, Douglas D, 1982. " Sectoral Shocks in a Dependent Economy: Long-run Adjustment and Short-run Accommodation," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 229-253.
- Neal, Derek, 1995. "Industry-Specific Human Capital: Evidence from Displaced Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 653-677, October.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1982. " Comment on M. Bruno, "Adjustment and Structural Change under Supply Shocks."," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 223-227.
- Patrick K. Asea, 1994. "The Balassa-Samuelson Model: A General Equilibrium Appraisal," UCLA Economics Working Papers 709, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Fischer, Stanley & Frenkel, Jacob A., 1972. "Investment, the two-sector model and trade in debt and capital goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 211-233, August.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Giovannini, Alberto & Krueger, Thomas H, 1994.
"The Behavior of Nontradable-Goods Prices in Europe: Evidence and Interpretation,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 284-305, October.
- Jose De Gregorio & Thomas Krueger & Alberto Giovannini, 1993. "The Behavior of Nontradable Goods Prices in Europe; Evidence and Interpretation," IMF Working Papers 93/45, .
- T. W.Swan, 1960. "Economic Control In A Dependent Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(73), pages 51-66, 03.
- W. E. G. Salter, 1959. "Internal And External Balance: The Role Op Price And Expenditure Effects," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 35(71), pages 226-238, 08.
- Helwege, Jean, 1992. "Sectoral Shifts and Interindustry Wage Differentials," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(1), pages 55-84, January.
- De Broeck, Mark & Sloek, Torsten, 2001. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Lawrence H. Summers, 1989.
"Can Interindustry Wage Differentials Justify Strategic Trade Policy?,"
in: Trade Policies for International Competitiveness, pages 85-124
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Lawrence H. Summers, 1988. "Can Inter-Industry Wage Differentials Justify Strategic Trade Policy?," NBER Working Papers 2739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N, 1984. "Why Are Services Cheaper in the Poor Countries?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(374), pages 279-286, June.
- Gibbons, R. & Katz, L., 1989. "Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differences," Working papers 543, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- William T. Dickens & Lawrence F. Katz, 1986. "Interindustry Wage Differences and Industry Characteristics," NBER Working Papers 2014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1997. "International Macroeconomic Dynamics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262201119, December.
- John Williamson, 1994. "Estimating Equilibrium Exchange Rates," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 17, January.
- Katics, Michelle M & Petersen, Bruce C, 1994. "The Effect of Rising Import Competition on Market Power: A Panel Data Study of U.S. Manufacturing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 277-286, September.
- Ronald MacDonald & Peter B. Clark, 1998. "Exchange Rates and Economic Fundamentals; A Methodological Comparison of BEERs and FEERs," IMF Working Papers 98/67, .
- Asea, Patrick K & Mendoza, Enrique G, 1994. "The Balassa-Samuelson Model: A General-Equilibrium Appraisal," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 244-267, October.
- Jack Strauss, 1998. "Relative Price Determination in the Medium Run: The Influence of Wages, Productivity, and International Prices," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 223-244, October.
- repec:fth:harver:1464 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cnb:wpaper:2003/08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.