The Effect of Sales Taxes on Employment: New Evidence From Cross-Border Panel Data Analysis
This paper estimates the effect of sales taxes on employment using county-level quarterly data and a "border approach," comparing employment changes for counties in states that raised sales tax rates with their cross-border neighbors. We augment standard distance-related border measures with an economically-oriented border measure based on the share of county residents who work in a neighboring state. We find that the employment effects are larger in the retail trade industry and for female workers, and that they are concentrated in counties with relatively large shares of residents working in another state.
Volume (Year): 65 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 529 14th Street NW Suite 750, Washington DC 20045|
Web page: https://www.ntanet.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rohlin, Shawn & Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Ross, Amanda, 2014. "Tax avoidance and business location in a state border model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 34-49.
- Andrés Leal & Julio López-Laborda & Fernando Rodrigo, 2010. "Cross-Border Shopping: A Survey," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 16(2), pages 135-148, May.
- John M. Abowd & Bryce E. Stephens & Lars Vilhuber & Fredrik Andersson & Kevin L. McKinney & Marc Roemer & Simon Woodcock, 2009.
"The LEHD Infrastructure Files and the Creation of the Quarterly Workforce Indicators,"
in: Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data, pages 149-230
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Bryce E. Stephens & Lars Vilhuber & Fredrik Andersson & Kevin L. McKinney & Marc Roemer & Simon Woodcock, 2002. "The LEHD Infrastructure Files and the Creation of the Quarterly Workforce Indicators," Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics Technical Papers 2002-05, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- John Abowd & Bryce Stephens & Lars Vilhuber, 2006. "The LEHD Infrastructure Files and the Creation of the Quarterly Workforce Indicators," Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics Technical Papers 2006-01, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Walsh, Michael J. & Jones, Jonathan D., 1988. "More Evidence on the "Border Tax" Effect: The Case of West Virginia, 1979-84," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 41(2), pages 261-65, June.
- Ronald C. Fisher, 1980. "Local Sales Taxes: Tax Rate Differentials, Sales Loss, and Revenue Estimation," Public Finance Review, , vol. 8(2), pages 171-188, April.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:16:y:2010:i:2:p:135-148 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)