Market Shares in Two-Sided Media Industries
This paper generalizes the frequently used Hotelling model for two-sided markets in order to determine the equilibrium market shares. We show that advertisement levels depend neither on the media price nor on the location of the media firm. An increase in advertising revenues does not change the location, but only the media price. If the distribution of consumers is asymmetric, market shares will be asymmetric as well, and the media firm with the larger market share charges the higher media price. The larger firm makes a higher profit per reader and in aggregate than does its smaller rival.
Volume (Year): 166 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform competition in two sided markets,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Nathalie Sonnac, 2000. "Readers’ Attitudes Toward Press Advertising : Are They Ad-Lovers or Ad-Averse ?," Working Papers 2000-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2003.
"Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis,"
Virginia Economics Online Papers
358, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2005. "Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 947-972.
- Mark Armstrong, 2005.
"Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
- Gabszewicz, Jean J & Laussel, Didier & Sonnac, Nathalie, 2002.
" Press Advertising and the Political Differentiation of Newspapers,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(3), pages 317-34.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, . "Press advertising and the political differentiation of newspapers," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1561, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso, 2004.
"Content and Advertising in the Media: Pay-TV versus Free-To-Air,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2008. "Content and advertising in the media: Pay-tv versus free-to-air," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 949-965, July.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, 2000. "Does press advertising foster the “pensée unique”?," CORE Discussion Papers 2000008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Nathalie Sonnac, 2000. "Readers' Attitudes Toward Press Advertising: Are They Ad-Lovers or Ad-Averse?," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 249-259.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Goeree, Jacob K. & Ramer, Roald, 1997. "Location, Location, Location," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 102-127, November.
- Crampes, Claude & Haritchabalet, Carole & Jullien, Bruno, 2006.
"Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries,"
IDEI Working Papers
374, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Claude Crampes & Carole Haritchabalet & Bruno Jullien, 2005. "Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1591, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(201006)166:2_205:msitmi_2.0.tx_2-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.