A Note on the Taxation of Couples Under Income Uncertainty
A neglected implication of the choice of the tax unit is its impact on the consumption risk carried by taxpayers. As compared to individual taxation, joint taxation with income splitting provides couples with more insurance against the risk of earning inability for one of the spouses. If that risk is not insurable in markets and labor supply is exogenous, a change from individual taxation to joint taxation with income splitting can raise all couples' expected welfare.
Volume (Year): 69 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/fa|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Chiu & Louis Eeckhoudt, 2010.
"The effects of stochastic wages and non-labor income on labor supply: update and extensions,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 100(1), pages 69-83, May.
- W.H. Chiu & L. Eeckhoudt, 2010. "The effects of stochastic wages and non-labor income on labor supply: update and extensions," Post-Print halshs-00485771, HAL.
- CHIU, W. Henry & EECKHOUDT, Louis, . "The effects of stochastic wages and non-labor income on labor supply: update and extensions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2208, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Apps,Patricia & Rees,Ray, 2009.
"Public Economics and the Household,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521716284, June.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Rosen, Harvey S., 1980. "Labor supply, uncertainty, and efficient taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 365-374, December.
- Varian, Hal R., 1980. "Redistributive taxation as social insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 49-68, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:finarc:urn:sici:0015-2218(201303)69:1_129:anotto_2.0.tx_2-m. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.