Corporate Financial Dynamics: A Pecking-Order Approach
This paper shows that combining an upper constraint on dividends, a lower constraint on dividends due to shareholder preferences, and an interest rate that increases with the debt ratio leads to a pecking-order financial structure: A typical firm will start to finance a new investment by issuing new shares in combination with debt, then grow by financing its investments with retained earnings and borrowing, and eventually stop growing and distribute all profits. Repurchases of shares will speed up this growth path. Economic depreciation may make the firm want to stop the decline in its capital stock earlier.
Volume (Year): 61 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/fa|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1990.
"The Vanishing Harberger Triangle,"
NBER Working Papers
3225, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1991.
"Share repurchases, the ’new’ view, and the cost of capital,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19844, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1991. "Share repurchases, the 'new' view, and the cost of capital," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 187-190, June.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan, 1994. "Costs of monitoring and corporate taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 307-321, October.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Kevin Hassett & Jan Sodersten, 1995.
"Taxation and Corporate Investment: The Impact of the 1991 Swedish Tax Reform,"
NBER Working Papers
5189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, A.J. & Hassett, K. & Sodersten, J., 1995. "Taxation and Corporate Investment: The Impact of the 1991 Swedish Tax Reform," Papers 8, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan, 1995. "The importance of reporting conventions for the theory of corporate taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 417-430, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:finarc:urn:sici:0015-2218(200602)61:4_516:cfdapa_2.0.tx_2-c. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.