Corporate Financial Dynamics: A Pecking-Order Approach
This paper shows that combining an upper constraint on dividends, a lower constraint on dividends due to shareholder preferences, and an interest rate that increases with the debt ratio leads to a pecking-order financial structure: A typical firm will start to finance a new investment by issuing new shares in combination with debt, then grow by financing its investments with retained earnings and borrowing, and eventually stop growing and distribute all profits. Repurchases of shares will speed up this growth path. Economic depreciation may make the firm want to stop the decline in its capital stock earlier.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 61 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/fa|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1991.
"The vanishing harberger triangle,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19842, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Kevin Hassett & Jan Sodersten, 1995.
"Taxation and Corporate Investment: The Impact of the 1991 Swedish Tax Reform,"
NBER Working Papers
5189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, A.J. & Hassett, K. & Sodersten, J., 1995. "Taxation and Corporate Investment: The Impact of the 1991 Swedish Tax Reform," Papers 8, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan, 1994. "Costs of monitoring and corporate taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 307-321, October.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1991.
"Share repurchases, the 'new' view, and the cost of capital,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 187-190, June.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1991. "Share repurchases, the ’new’ view, and the cost of capital," Munich Reprints in Economics 19844, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan, 1995. "The importance of reporting conventions for the theory of corporate taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 417-430, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:finarc:urn:sici:0015-2218(200602)61:4_516:cfdapa_2.0.tx_2-c. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.