Asymmetric monetary policies? the case of Germany and France
How dissimilar are the policy objectives of the Bundesbank and the Banque de France and have those objectives converged since the conception of the EMS? We address these questions by estimating objective functions for the flexible-exchange-rate and the EMS periods. Vector autoregressions are used to characterize the economic environment and an inverse control methodology is used to infer the objectives of the central banks. We find that the Bundesbank's policy actions are compatible with its having consistently placed a high weight on the objective of price stability. The Banque de France on the other hand appears to have considered output stability to be an important target in the early EMS period. After a major French policy shift in 1982 the objectives of two Central Banks appear to be quite similar. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1991
Volume (Year): 2 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/international+economics/journal/11079/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilles Oudiz & Jeffrey Sachs, 1985. "International Policy Coordination in Dynamic Macroeconomic Models," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Policy Coordination, pages 274-330 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri, 1983.
"Monetary policy games and the role of private information,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
249, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Canzoneri, Matthew B, 1985. "Monetary Policy Games and the Role of Private Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1056-70, December.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1981.
"A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural-Rate Model,"
NBER Working Papers
0807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Michele Fratianni & Juergen Hagen, 1990. "German dominance in the EMS," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 67-87, February.
- Jacques Melitz, 1986.
"The prospect of a depreciating dollar and possible tension inside the EMS,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
279, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jacques Melitz, 1988. "The Prospect of a Depreciating Dollar and Possible Tension Inside the EMS," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 124(I), pages 1-21, March.
- Melitz, Jacques, 1986. "The Prospect of a Depreciating Dollar and Possible Tension Inside the EMS," CEPR Discussion Papers 97, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michele Fratianni & Juergen Hagen, 1992. "German dominance in the EMS:The empirical evidence," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 127-128, February.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1985. "The Optimal Degree of Commitment to an Intermediate Monetary Target," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1169-1189.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B. & Henderson, Dale W., 1988. "Is sovereign policymaking bad?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 93-140, January.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Gray, Jo Anna, 1985. "Monetary Policy Games and the Consequences of Non-cooperative Behavior," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 547-64, October.
- Fratianni, Michele & von Hagen, Juergen, 1990. "The European Monetary System ten years after," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 173-241, January.
- Giavazzi, Francesco, 1988. "Incentives to fix the exchange rate," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 382-387, March.
- Barro, Robert J., 1989. "Interest-rate targeting," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 3-30, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:2:y:1991:i:3:p:219-236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.