The Policy Challenge with Floating Exchange Rates: Turkey’s Recent Experience
This paper evaluates the developments in the Turkish economy in light of the Central Bank of Turkey’s (CBT) policies during a recent period of floating exchange rate system (March 2001–July 2003). It is found that the CBT was effective in containing volatility and reducing the average inflation rate while there was a strong recovery of output. However, there are accumulated risks in the economy. Particularly, the extreme appreciation of the Turkish lira during this period and the record level of real interest rates give the impression that the current state of the economy is fragile. Unless the government accelerates the structural reform process and pursues sound fiscal policies to reduce the public sector borrowing requirement and the debt ratio, an adverse shock to the system may trigger a reversal of fortune. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/international+economics/journal/11079/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kamin, Steve B. & Rogers, John H., 2000.
"Output and the real exchange rate in developing countries: an application to Mexico,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 85-109, February.
- Steven B. Kamin & John H. Rogers, 1997. "Output and the real exchange rate in developing countries: an application to Mexico," International Finance Discussion Papers 580, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Michael B. Devereux & Philip Lane, 2001.
"Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies,"
CEG Working Papers
20017, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Michael B. Devereux & Philip R. Lane & Juanyi Xu, 2006. "Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(511), pages 478-506, 04.
- Michael B. Devereux & Philip Lane, 2001. "Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies," Trinity Economics Papers 200111, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Michael B. Devereux & Philip R. Lane, 2000. "Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies," Working Papers 072000, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Devereux, Michael B & Lane, Philip R., 2001. "Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2874, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Michael B. Devereux,Juanyi Xu, 2005. "Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp036, IIIS.
- Jorge I Canales Kriljenko & Cem Karacadag & Roberto Pereira GuimarÃ£es, 2003. "Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market; Elements of Best Practice," IMF Working Papers 03/152, .
- Brad Setser & Nouriel Roubini & Christian Keller & Mark Allen & Christoph B. Rosenberg, 2002. "A Balance Sheet Approach to Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 02/210, .
- Oya Celasun & R. Gaston Gelos & Alessandro Prati, 2004.
"Would "Cold Turkey" Work in Turkey?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(3), pages 493-509, November.
- Vuslat Us, 2003.
"Analyzing the Persistence of Currency Substitution Using a Ratchet Variable : The Turkish Case,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(4), pages 58-81, July.
- Vuslat Us, 2003. "Analyzing the Persistence of Currency Substitution Using a Ratchet Variable : The Turkish Case," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(4), pages 58-81, July.
- Ilker Domac & Alfonso Mendoza, 2002. "Is there Room for Forex Interventions under Inflation Targeting Framework? Evidence from Mexico and Turkey," Discussion Papers 0206, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Marco Rossi & Daniel Leigh, 2002. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Turkey," IMF Working Papers 02/204, .
- Laura Papi & G. C. Lim, 1997. "An Econometric Analysis of the Determinants of Inflation in Turkey," IMF Working Papers 97/170, .
- Kibritçioğlu, Aykut & Rittenberg, Libby & Selçuk, Faruk & Akçay, O. Cevdet & Alper, C. Emre & Berument, M. Hakan & Dibooğlu, Selahattin & Erlat, Haluk & Ertuğrul, Ahmet & Malatyalı, N. Kamuran & Nas, , 2002. "Inflation and Disinflation in Turkey," EconStor Books, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, number 110203.
- U. Ozlale & E. Yeldan, 2004. "Measuring exchange rate misalignment in Turkey," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(16), pages 1839-1849.
- Ilker Domac & Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee, 2002. "between Dollarization and Inflation : Evidence from Turkey," Discussion Papers 0207, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- repec:eme:jespps:v:30:y:2003:i:5:p:514-534 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hamid Faruqee, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in the Euro Area; The Role of Asymmetric Pricing Behavior," IMF Working Papers 04/14, .
- Haluk Erlat, 2003. "The Nature of Persistence in Turkish Real Exchange Rates," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(2), pages 70-97, March.
- K. Doroodian & Chulho Jung & Ahmet Yucel, 2002. "Estimating the equilibrium real exchange rate: the case of Turkey," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(14), pages 1807-1812.
- Metin, Kivilcim, 1995. "An Integrated Analysis of Turkish Inflation," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(4), pages 513-531, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:16:y:2005:i:3:p:295-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.