Forecasting Travel on Congested Urban Transportation Networks: Review and Prospects for Network Equilibrium Models
The historical origins, development and application of traffic network equilibrium models with variable origin–destination flows are examined in this review. The original formulation and analysis of this model during 1952–1955 by Beckmann, McGuire and Winsten at the Cowles Commission for Research in Economics is the starting point for the review. Subsequent research building upon the original formulation is described, and contrasted with urban travel forecasting practice stemming from the same period. Additional model developments through the end of the twentieth century are then summarized, followed by a brief discussion of travel forecasting practice and software development stimulated by the original formulation. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Volume (Year): 7 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/regional+science/journal/11067/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D E Boyce & K S Chon & Y J Lee & K T Lin & L J LeBlanc, 1983. "Implementation and Computational Issues for Combined Models of Location, Destination, Mode, and Route Choice," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 15(9), pages 1219-1230, September.
- Lam, William H. K. & Huang, Hai-Jun, 1992. "A combined trip distribution and assignment model for multiple user classes," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 275-287, August.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521766555, March.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521747387, December.
- Kenneth Train, 2003. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Online economics textbooks, SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2.
- F. H. Knight, 1924. "Some Fallacies in the Interpretation of Social Cost," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(4), pages 582-606.
- H C W L Williams, 1977. "On the Formation of Travel Demand Models and Economic Evaluation Measures of User Benefit," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 9(3), pages 285-344, March.
- Lam, William H. K. & Huang, Hai-Jun, 1992. "Calibration of the combined trip distribution and assignment model for multiple user classes," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 289-305, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:netspa:v:7:y:2007:i:2:p:99-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.