Forecasting Travel on Congested Urban Transportation Networks: Review and Prospects for Network Equilibrium Models
The historical origins, development and application of traffic network equilibrium models with variable origin–destination flows are examined in this review. The original formulation and analysis of this model during 1952–1955 by Beckmann, McGuire and Winsten at the Cowles Commission for Research in Economics is the starting point for the review. Subsequent research building upon the original formulation is described, and contrasted with urban travel forecasting practice stemming from the same period. Additional model developments through the end of the twentieth century are then summarized, followed by a brief discussion of travel forecasting practice and software development stimulated by the original formulation. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lam, William H. K. & Huang, Hai-Jun, 1992. "Calibration of the combined trip distribution and assignment model for multiple user classes," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 289-305, August.
- F. H. Knight, 1924. "Some Fallacies in the Interpretation of Social Cost," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(4), pages 582-606.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521766555, june. pag.
- D E Boyce & K S Chon & Y J Lee & K T Lin & L J LeBlanc, 1983. "Implementation and Computational Issues for Combined Models of Location, Destination, Mode, and Route Choice," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 15(9), pages 1219-1230, September.
- H C W L Williams, 1977. "On the Formation of Travel Demand Models and Economic Evaluation Measures of User Benefit," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 9(3), pages 285-344, March.
- Lam, William H. K. & Huang, Hai-Jun, 1992. "A combined trip distribution and assignment model for multiple user classes," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 275-287, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:netspa:v:7:y:2007:i:2:p:99-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.