Variety-Seeking and Time of Day: Why Leader Brands Hope Young Adults Shop in the Afternoon, but Follower Brands Hope for Morning
The relationship between variety-seeking behaviors and the time of day at which choices are made is investigated. It is proposed that more variety-seeking will typically occur during times of day when people are experiencing arousal lows rather than arousal peaks. Two studies support this view. Moreover, it is also shown that the incidence of choice is greater for follower brands during day periods when variety-seeking is heightened, whereas leader brands fare better in periods when variety-seeking is relatively minimal. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ratner, Rebecca K & Kahn, Barbara E & Kahneman, Daniel, 1999. " Choosing Less-Preferred Experiences for the Sake of Variety," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(1), pages 1-15, June.
- McAlister, Leigh & Pessemier, Edgar, 1982. " Variety Seeking Behavior: An Interdisciplinary Review," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(3), pages 311-22, December.
- Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict E M & Baumgartner, Hans, 1992. " The Role of Optimum Stimulation Level in Exploratory Consumer Behavior," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 434-48, December.
- Simonson, Itamar & Winer, Russell S, 1992. " The Influence of Purchase Quantity and Display Format on Consumer Preference for Variety," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(1), pages 133-38, June.
- Ariely, Dan & Levav, Jonathan, 2000. " Sequential Choice in Group Settings: Taking the Road Less Traveled and Less Enjoyed," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(3), pages 279-90, December.
- Menon, Satya & Kahn, Barbara E, 1995. " The Impact of Context on Variety Seeking in Product Choices," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(3), pages 285-95, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:mktlet:v:15:y:2004:i:4:p:213-221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.