Do consumer perceptions matter in measuring choice variety and variety seeking?
This research marries scanner panel choice data of consumers in single member households to their survey-based perception data and draws upon behavioral and modeling research to contribute to the variety seeking literature. It presents a new consumer-based measure of choice variety based on inter-product similarity perceptions and illustrates that others-based (i.e., researchers, managers, and retailers) measures of choice variety such as number of brand switches underestimate choice variety. Moreover, incorporating the consumer-based measure instead of others-based measures in latent class models improves their efficiency of classifying households into high versus low variety seeking. The consumer-based measure of choice variety is valid in terms of its positive relationship with consumer's intrinsic or trait-based variety seeking tendency. Theoretical (market structure, consideration set) and managerial implications (targeting of price promotions to reduce spending, product design, cross-price elasticity) of the findings are offered.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict E M & Baumgartner, Hans, 1992. " The Role of Optimum Stimulation Level in Exploratory Consumer Behavior," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 434-48, December.
- Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik & Hoyer, Wayne D, 2000. " Descriptive Characteristics of Memory-Based Consideration Sets: Influence of Usage Occasion Frequency and Usage Location Familiarity," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(3), pages 309-23, December.
- Menon, Satya & Kahn, Barbara E, 1995. " The Impact of Context on Variety Seeking in Product Choices," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(3), pages 285-95, December.
- A. Frenzel Baudisch, 2006.
"Consumer heterogeneity evolving from social group dynamics. Latent class analyses of German footwear consumption 1980-1991,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2006-04, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Baudisch, Alexander Frenzel, 2007. "Consumer heterogeneity evolving from social group dynamics: Latent class analyses of German footwear consumption 1980-1991," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(8), pages 836-847, August.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 1999. "Variety Seeking, Purchase Timing, and the "Lightning Bolt" Brand Choice Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(4), pages 486-498, April.
- Barbara E. Kahn & Jagmohan S. Raju, 1991. "Effects of Price Promotions on Variety-Seeking and Reinforcement Behavior," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 316-337.
- Kahn, Barbara E & Wansink, Brian, 2004. " The Influence of Assortment Structure on Perceived Variety and Consumption Quantities," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(4), pages 519-33, March.
- McAlister, Leigh & Pessemier, Edgar, 1982. " Variety Seeking Behavior: An Interdisciplinary Review," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(3), pages 311-22, December.
- Sharma, Piyush & Sivakumaran, Bharadhwaj & Marshall, Roger, 2010. "Impulse buying and variety seeking: A trait-correlates perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 276-283, March.
- Minakshi Trivedi & Frank M. Bass & Ram C. Rao, 1994. "A Model of Stochastic Variety-Seeking," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(3), pages 274-297.
- Cassie Mogilner & Tamar Rudnick & Sheena S. Iyengar, 2008. "The Mere Categorization Effect: How the Presence of Categories Increases Choosers' Perceptions of Assortment Variety and Outcome Satisfaction," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(2), pages 202-215, 06.
- Alba, Joseph W & Hutchinson, J Wesley, 1987. " Dimensions of Consumer Expertise," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 411-54, March.
- Fader, Peter S. & Hardie, Bruce G. S., 2002. "A note on an integrated model of customer buying behavior," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(3), pages 682-687, June.
- Jaehwan Kim & Greg M. Allenby & Peter E. Rossi, 2002. "Modeling Consumer Demand for Variety," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(3), pages 229-250, December.
- Inman, J Jeffrey, 2001. " The Role of Sensory-Specific Satiety in Attribute-Level Variety Seeking," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 105-20, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:67:y:2014:i:1:p:2786-2792. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.