How should cultural diversity be measured? An application using the French publishing industry
Despite the lack of a clear definition of the concept, “cultural diversity” has remained a core issue for more than a decade (WTO, UNESCO, etc.). The aim of this paper is to begin to fill this gap. We argue that cultural diversity is a multi-dimensional concept and that accurate metrics must rely on three criteria: variety, balance and disparity. We also stress that supplied and consumed diversity have to be distinguished. We apply this set of multiple measures of diversity to publishing data for France over the period 1990–2003. Our main result is that the situation of the publishing industry in terms of cultural diversity is highly dependent on the dimension considered. Hence, diversity increases when variety is the sole consideration, whereas taking balance or disparity into account leads to the opposite conclusion. This issue raises a series of questions about the use of diversity measures in a policy debate concerned with furthering cultural diversity. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004.
"Programming and Advertising Competition in the Broadcasting Industry,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 657-669, December.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, . "Programming and advertising competition in the broadcasting industry," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1873, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Victor Ginsburgh & David Throsby, 2006.
"Handbook of the Eonomics of Art and Culture,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/152412, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Victor Ginsburgh, 2003.
"Awards, Success and Aesthetic Quality in the Arts,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 17(2), pages 99-111, Spring.
- Victor Ginsburgh, 2003. "Awards, success and aesthetic quality in the arts," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1679, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- GINSBURGH, Victor, . "Awards, success and aesthetic quality in the arts," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1616, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Keith Acheson & Christopher Maule, 2004.
"Convention on Cultural Diversity,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 243-256, November.
- Francois Moreau & Stephanie Peltier, 2004. "Cultural Diversity in the Movie Industry: A Cross-National Study," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 123-143.
- Marcel F. M. Canoy & Jan C. van Ours & Frederick Van der Ploeg, 2005.
"The Economics of Books,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1414, CESifo Group Munich.
- Canoy, M.F.M. & van Ours, J.C. & van der Ploeg, F., 2005. "The Economics of Books," Discussion Paper 2005-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Canoy, Marcel & van der Ploeg, Frederick & van Ours, Jan C, 2005. "The Economics of Books," CEPR Discussion Papers 4892, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2004.
"Beyond the Dogma of the Fixed Book Price Agreement,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2003. "Beyond the Dogma of the Fixed Book Price Agreement," CESifo Working Paper Series 949, CESifo Group Munich.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 2000.
"Economic Profitability Versus Ecological Entropy,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(1), pages 237-263.
- Shu-Chu Sarrina Li & Chin-Chih Chiang, 2001. "Market Competition and Programming Diversity: A Study on the TV Market in Taiwan," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 105-119.
- Solow Andrew & Polasky Stephen & Broadus James, 1993. "On the Measurement of Biological Diversity," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 60-68, January.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, .
"Press advertising and the political differentiation of newspapers,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1561, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabszewicz, Jean J & Laussel, Didier & Sonnac, Nathalie, 2002. " Press Advertising and the Political Differentiation of Newspapers," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(3), pages 317-34.
- Richard van der Wurff & Jan van Cuilenburg, 2001. "Impact of Moderate and Ruinous Competition on Diversity: The Dutch Television Market," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 213-229.
- Patrick Cohendet & Patrick Llerena & Arndt Sorge, 1992. "Technological diversity and coherence in Europe : an analytical overview," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 59(1), pages 9-26.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:31:y:2007:i:2:p:85-107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.