Understanding Sustainability Innovations Through Positive Ethical Networks
In this paper, a positive organizational ethics (POE)-based framework is informed by the microfinance and socially responsible investing movements to capture the process of sustainable financial innovations. Both of these movements are uniquely characterized by the formation of positive ethical networks (PENs) to develop sustainability innovations in response to external crises. The crisis–PEN–innovation framework proposed makes four contributions to the POE literature: (1) positions corporate sustainability through a POE lens; (2) formalizes the PEN construction through POE theory; (3) proposes PENs are mobilized to respond to external crises; and (4) demonstrates how PENs facilitate sustainability innovations. The theoretical framework is tested using theory-guided process tracing in the sustainable banking sector to understand how sustainability innovations were realized. The findings are consistent with the crisis–PEN–innovation framework proposed. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2014
Volume (Year): 119 (2014)
Issue (Month): 4 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/social+sciences/applied+ethics/journal/10551/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaptein, Muel & Wempe, Johan, 2002. "The Balanced Company: A Theory of Corporate Integrity," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199255511.
- Stephen Morse & Nora McNamara & Moses Acholo & Benjamin Okwoli, 2001. "Sustainability indicators: the problem of integration," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 1-15.
- Carroll, Archie B., 1991. "The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Toward the moral management of organizational stakeholders," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 39-48.
- Salzmann, Oliver & Ionescu-somers, Aileen & Steger, Ulrich, 2005. "The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability:: Literature Review and Research Options," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 27-36, February.
- James Crotty, 2008.
"Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2008-14, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- James Crotty, 2009. "Structural causes of the global financial crisis: a critical assessment of the 'new financial architecture'," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 563-580, July.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," Working Papers wp180, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Aidan Hollis & Arthur Sweetman, 1997.
"Microcredit in Pre-Famine Ireland,"
- Sekerka, Leslie E. & Stimel, Derek, 2011.
"How durable is sustainable enterprise? Ecological sustainability meets the reality of tough economic times,"
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 115-124, March.
- Sekerka, Leslie E. & Stimel, Derek, 2011. "How durable is sustainable enterprise? Ecological sustainability meets the reality of tough economic times," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 115-124.
- Amy Verbos & Joseph Gerard & Paul Forshey & Charles Harding & Janice Miller, 2007. "The Positive Ethical Organization: Enacting a Living Code of Ethics and Ethical Organizational Identity," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 76(1), pages 17-33, November.
- Robert H. Bates & Avner Greif & Margaret Levi & Jean-Laurent Rosenthal, 1998. "Analytic Narratives," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 6355.
- Phillips, Robert A., 2010. "Ethics and Network Organizations," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 533-543, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:119:y:2014:i:4:p:543-559. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.