Nanotechnology and Ethics: The Role of Regulation Versus Self-Commitment in Shaping Researchers’ Behavior
The governance of nanotechnology seeks to limit its risks, without constraining opportunities. The literature on the effectiveness of approaches to governance has neglected approaches that impact directly on the behavior of a researcher. We analyze the effectiveness of legal regulations versus regulation via self-commitment. Then, we refine this model by analyzing competition and autonomy as key contingency factors. In the first step, qualitative interviews with nanotechnology researchers are conducted to reflect this model. In the second step, its empirical relevance is tested using a survey of 90 nanotech researchers. The results indicate that legal regulations, as well as self-commitment to an informal CoC reduce the scope of behavior. Finally, that competition and autonomy affect the relative strength of these governance factors. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2012
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin Morrell, 2008. "The Narrative of 'Evidence Based' Management: A Polemic," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 613-635, 05.
- William Shafer & Kyoko Fukukawa & Grace Lee, 2007. "Values and the Perceived Importance of Ethics and Social Responsibility: The U.S. versus China," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 70(3), pages 265-284, February.
- Gerald P. O'Driscoll Jr. & Lee Hoskins, 2006. "The Case for Market-Based Regulation," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 26(3), pages 469-487, Fall.
- Dubinsky, Alan J. & Loken, Barbara, 1989. "Analyzing ethical decision making in marketing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 83-107, September.
- Birger Wernerfelt & Cynthia A. Montgomery, 1986. "What is an Attractive Industry?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1223-1230, October.
- Fink, Matthias & Harms, Rainer & Kraus, Sascha, 2008. "Cooperative internationalization of SMEs: Self-commitment as a success factor for International Entrepreneurship," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 429-440, December.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1993. "Calculativeness, Trust, and Economic Organization," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 453-86, April.
- Posner, Richard A, 1997. "Social Norms and the Law: An Economic Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 365-69, May.
- Michael Kyobe, 2009. "Factors Influencing SME Compliance with Government Regulation on Use of IT: The Case of South Africa," Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), IGI Global, vol. 17(2), pages 30-59, April.
- Michaela Haase, 2008. "Customer Integration and Beyond - Towards a Business Economic-Ethical Theory of the Firm," Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Unternehmensethik - Journal for Business, Economics & Ethics, Rainer Hampp Verlag, vol. 9(1), pages 129 - 152.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:109:y:2012:i:4:p:569-581. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.