Green Accounting for an Externality, Pollution at a Mine
This paper takes a value-added approach to ``green''accounting at an individual microeconomic unit, a mine. Capacities forextraction and for abatement of pollution are chosen subject to anenvironmental regulation. The implications for accounting for resource andenvironmental degradation are discussed. Depreciation is not quantitativelyunique, but can be compared qualitatively with a condition involving shadowprices. The costs of defensive expenditures contribute to increasing greenNNP, but depreciation of the resource is a charge against GNP in computinggreen NNP. Income from capital is the return on the undepreciated values ofextractive capacity, abatement capacity and the resource, and is a part ofnet domestic income. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Volume (Year): 27 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tarek M. Harchaoui & Pierre Lasserre, 1999.
"Testing the Option Value Theory of Irreversible Investment,"
Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM
9905, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Harchaoui, Tarek M & Lasserre, Pierre, 2001. "Testing the Option Value Theory of Irreversible Investment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(1), pages 141-66, February.
- Tarek M. Harchaoui & Pierre Lasserre, 1999. "Testing the Option Value Theory of Irreversible Investment," CIRANO Working Papers 99s-35, CIRANO.
- Tarek M. Harchaoui & Pierre Lasserre, 1995. "Testing the Option Value Theory of Irreversible Investment," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-41, CIRANO.
- Harchaoui, T. & Lasserre, P., 1995. "Testing the Option Vakue Theory of Irreversible Investment," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 95b04, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Cairns, Robert D, 2000. "Accounting for Resource Depletion: A Microeconomic Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 21-31, March.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1976.
"On the Welfare Significance of National Product in a Dynamic Economy,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 90(1), pages 156-162.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1974. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in Dynamic Economy," Working papers 125, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Cairns, Robert D., 2001. "Seeing the trees as a forest: what counts in green accounting," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 61-69, January.
- Cairns, Robert D., 1998. "Sufficient conditions for a class of investment problems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 55-69, September.
- Roan, Philip F. & Martin, Wade E., 1996. "Optimal Production and Reclamation at a Mine Site with an Ecosystem Constraint," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 186-198, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:27:y:2004:i:4:p:409-427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.