Improved Estimators of Hedonic Housing Price Models
In hedonic housing price modeling, real estate researchers and practitioners are often not completely ignorant about the parameters to be estimated. Experience and expertise usually provide them with tacit understanding of the likely values of the true parameters. Under this scenario, the subjective knowledge about the parameter value can be incorporated as non-sample information in the hedonic price model. This paper considers a class of Generalized Stein Variance Double k-class (GSVKK) estimators, which allows real estate practitioners to introduce potentially useful information about the parameter values into the estimation of hedonic pricing models. Data from the Hong Kong real estate market are used to investigate the estimators?performance empirically. Compared with the traditional Ordinary Lease Squares approach, the GSVKK estimators have smaller predictive mean squared errors and lead to more precise parameter estimates. Some results on the theoretical properties of the GSVKK estimators are also presented.
Volume (Year): 29 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kazuhiro Ohtani & Alan Wan, 2002. "ON THE USE OF THE STEIN VARIANCE ESTIMATOR IN THE DOUBLE k-CLASS ESTIMATOR IN REGRESSION," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 121-134.
- Brownstone, David, 1990. "Bootstrapping improved estimators for linear regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 171-187.
- Steven C. BOURASSA & Martin HOESLI & Vincent S. PENG, 2002.
"Do Housing Submarkets Really Matter?,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp58, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Wan, Alan T. K. & Zou, Guohua, 2003. "Optimal critical values of pre-tests when estimating the regression error variance: analytical findings under a general loss structure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 165-196, May.
- Clapp, John M. & Wang, Yazhen, 2006. "Defining neighborhood boundaries: Are census tracts obsolete?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 259-284, March.
- Goodman, Allen C. & Thibodeau, Thomas G., 1998. "Housing Market Segmentation," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 121-143, June.
- J. R. Knight & R. Carter Hill & C. F. Sirmans, 1992. "Biased Prediction of Housing Values," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(3), pages 427-456.
- Alan Wan & Anoop Chaturvedi & Guohuazou Zou, 2003. "Unbiased estimation of the MSE matrices of improved estimators in linear regression," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 173-189.
- Chi, Xie Wen & Judge, George, 1985. "On assessing the precision of Stein's estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 143-148.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:29:n:3:2007:p:267-302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.