Factors Affecting Housing Modifications and Housing Pricing: A Case Study of Four Residential Neighborhoods in Haifa, Israel
The relationships among three groups of variables - environmental conditions in residential neighborhoods, post-occupancy housing changes and modifications (HCMs), and the market values of residential properties - are investigated. While traditional hedonic modeling assumes the existence of direct links between environmental factors and property values, this paper suggests that such links are indirect and work through the investment decisions of homeowners, who choose to invest (or not to invest) in the maintenance and/or expansion of their properties. To verify this assumption, HCMs accumulated in four residential neighborhoods in Haifa, Israel are analyzed. The findings indicate a fairly strong association between environmental factors, building characteristics, rehabilitation activity and property values in these neighborhoods. The paper suggests an extra benefit for improving the environment, due to the dynamic process that may cause further investment.
Volume (Year): 27 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John K. Hill & D'Ann M. Petersen, 1994. "Demographics and the long-term outlook for housing investment," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q I, pages 17-25.
- Nir Becker & Doron Lavee, 2003.
"The Benefits and Costs of Noise Reduction,"
Journal of Environmental Planning and Management,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 97-111.
- Mats Wilhelmsson, 2000. "The Impact of Traffic Noise on the Values of Single-family Houses," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(6), pages 799-815.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Tyrvainen, Liisa & Miettinen, Antti, 2000. "Property Prices and Urban Forest Amenities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 205-223, March.
- Benson, Earl D & Hansen, Julia L. & Schwartz Jr., Arthur & Smersh, Greg T., 1998. "Pricing Residential Amenities: The Value of a View," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 55-73, January.
- FranÃ§ois Des Rosiers & Marius ThÃ©riault & Yan Kestens & Paul Villeneuve, 2002. "Landscaping and House Values: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 23(1/2), pages 139-162.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 1996. "One Hundred Fifty Years of Land Values in Chicago: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 100-124, July.
- Ronald W. Spahr & Mark A. Sunderman, 1999. "Valuation of Property Surrounding a Resort Community," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 17(2), pages 227-244.
- Smith, V Kerry & Desvousges, William H, 1986. "The Value of Avoiding a Lulu: Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 293-299, May.
- Chengri Ding & Robert Simons & Esmail Baku, 2000. "The Effect of Residential Investment on Nearby Property Values: Evidence from Cleveland, Ohio," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 19(1), pages 23-48.
- Elena G. Irwin, 2002. "The Effects of Open Space on Residential Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(4), pages 465-480.
- Robert J. Johnston & RStephen K. Swallow & Dana Marie Bauer, 2002. "Spatial Factors and Stated Preference Values for Public Goods: Considerations for Rural Land Use," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(4), pages 481-500.
- Leggett, Christopher G. & Bockstael, Nancy E., 2000. "Evidence of the Effects of Water Quality on Residential Land Prices," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 121-144, March.
- J. Tomkins & N. Topham & J. Twomey & R. Ward, 1998. "Noise versus Access: The Impact of an Airport in an Urban Property Market," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 35(2), pages 243-258, February.
- Michael T. Bond & Vicky L. Seiler & Michael J. Seiler, 2002. "Residential Real Estate Prices: A Room with a View," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 23(1/2), pages 129-138.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:27:n:4:2005:p:371-408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.