Fund Flows and Commercial Real Estate Investment: Evidence from the Commercial Mortgage Market
This paper addresses the issue of the impact of fund flows on real investment. In the classical world, fund flows affect investment by changing the cost of funds or through the weighted average cost of capital. In a less perfect world, fund flows can directly alter investment though a rationing mechanism, where even presumably profitable investment is choked off. This paper examines the commercial mortgage market over the last quarter century. The findings indicate an effect of constrained flows on investment in the early 1990s, but an independent impact of higher flows to the commercial mortgage market in the middle 1980s is not found.
Volume (Year): 26 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. Michael Giliberto, 1992. "A Note on Commercial Mortgage Flows and Construction," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(4), pages 485-492.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Edward J. Kane, 1992. "CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES OF THE 1980s COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION BOOM," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 5(1), pages 61-70.
- Luis C. Mejia, 1999. "Availability of Credit and Loan Default: A Look at the Commercial Mortgage Supply Cycle," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 18(1), pages 175-196.
- Brent W. Ambrose & John Benjamin & Peter Chinloy, 1996. "Credit Restrictions and the Market for Commercial Real Estate Loans," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 1-22.
- Follain, James R. & Hendershott, Patric H. & Ling, David C., 1992. "Real Estate Markets Since 1980: What Role Have Tax Changes Played?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 45(3), pages 253-66, September.
- William M. Gentry & Christopher J. Mayer, . "What Can We Learn about Investment and Capital Structure with a Better Measure of q?," Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers 403, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:26:n:4:2004:p:417-442. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.