Payment Choice in REIT Property Acquisitions
This study examines payment choice in equity real estate investment trust (REIT) property acquisitions. Particular attention is paid to the tax-advantaged medium of exchange available to some REITs (i.e., operating partnership units). The tax argument that is often cited as an underlying rationale for hypotheses relating bidder gains, payment method and acquisitions is empirically tested via the relationship between sales price differentials and the method of payment. The payment signaling hypothesis and other competing medium of exchange hypotheses are also empirically tested using a data set generously provided by the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts.
Volume (Year): 21 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1/2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Allen, Paul R. & Sirmans, C. F., 1987. "An analysis of gains to acquiring firm's shareholders : The special case of REITs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 175-184, March.
- Fishman, Michael J, 1989. " Preemptive Bidding and the Role of the Medium of Exchange in Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 41-57, March.
- John L. Glascock & Wallace N. Davidson & C.F. Sirmans, 1989. "An Analysis of the Acquisition and Disposition of Real Estate Assets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(3), pages 131-140.
- Eckbo, B Espen & Giammarino, Ronald M & Heinkel, Robert L, 1990. "Asymmetric Information and the Medium of Exchange in Takeovers: Theory and Tests," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 651-675.
- Ling, David C. & Ryngaert, Michael, 1997. "Valuation uncertainty, institutional involvement, and the underpricing of IPOs: The case of REITs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 433-456, March.
- Willard McIntosh & Dennis T. Officer & Jeffrey A. Born, 1989. "The Wealth Effects of Merger Activities: Further Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(3), pages 141-156.
- F. C. Neil Myer & Ling T. He & James R. Webb, 1992. "Sell-Offs of U.S. Real Estate: The Effect of Domestic versus Foreign Buyers on Shareholder Wealth," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(3), pages 487-500.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Rice, Edward M, 1984. "Going Private: Minority Freezeouts and Stockholder Wealth," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 367-401, October.
- Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1987. " Corporate Takeover Bids, Methods of Payment, and Bidding Firms' Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 943-963, September.
- Roll, Richard, 1986. "The Hubris Hypothesis of Corporate Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 197-216, April.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Munneke, Henry J., 1996. "Redevelopment Decisions for Commercial and Industrial Properties," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 229-253, March.
- John L. Glascock & Wallace N. Davidson & C. F. Sirmans, 1991. "The Gains from Corporate Selloffs: The Case of Real Estate Assets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(4), pages 567-582.
- Hansen, Robert G, 1987. "A Theory for the Choice of Exchange Medium in Mergers and Acquisitions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(1), pages 75-95, January.
- Brueckner Jan K., 1994. "Borrower Mobility, Adverse Selection, and Mortgage Points," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 416-441, September.
- Asquith, Paul & Bruner, Robert F. & Mullins, David Jr., 1983. "The gains to bidding firms from merger," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 121-139, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:21:n:1/2:2001:p:105-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.