Covariance estimation for multivariate conditionally Gaussian dynamic linear models
In multivariate time series, estimation of the covariance matrix of observation innovations plays an important role in forecasting as it enables computation of standardized forecast error vectors as well as the computation of confidence bounds of forecasts. We develop an online, non-iterative Bayesian algorithm for estimation and forecasting. It is empirically found that, for a range of simulated time series, the proposed covariance estimator has good performance converging to the true values of the unknown observation covariance matrix. Over a simulated time series, the new method approximates the correct estimates, produced by a non-sequential Monte Carlo simulation procedure, which is used here as the gold standard. The special, but important, vector autoregressive (VAR) and time-varying VAR models are illustrated by considering London metal exchange data consisting of spot prices of aluminium, copper, lead and zinc. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 26 (2007)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S., 1996.
"Bayesian Vector Autoregressions with Stochastic Volatility,"
1996-09, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Harald Uhlig, 1997. "Bayesian Vector Autoregressions with Stochastic Volatility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 59-74, January.
- Triantafyllopoulos, Kostas, 2006. "Multivariate discount weighted regression and local level models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(12), pages 3702-3720, August.
- Litterman, Robert B, 1986.
"Forecasting with Bayesian Vector Autoregressions-Five Years of Experience,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 4(1), pages 25-38, January.
- Robert B. Litterman, 1985. "Forecasting with Bayesian vector autoregressions five years of experience," Working Papers 274, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Paul L. Anderson & Mark M. Meerschaert, 2005. "Parameter Estimation for Periodically Stationary Time Series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 489-518, 07.
- A. C. Harvey, 1986. "Analysis and Generalisation of a Multivariate Exponential Smoothing Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(3), pages 374-380, March.
- Triantafyllopoulos, Kostas & Pikoulas, John, 2002. "Multivariate Bayesian Regression Applied to the Problem of Network Security," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(8), pages 579-94, December.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543, December.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Christian Francq & Antony Gautier, 2004. "Large sample properties of parameter least squares estimates for time-varying arma models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 765-783, 09.
- Salvador, Manuel & Gargallo, Pilar, 2004. "Automatic monitoring and intervention in multivariate dynamic linear models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 401-431, October.
- Kadiyala, K. Rao & Karlsson, Sune, 1994.
"Numerical Aspects of Bayesian VAR-modeling,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
12, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Kadiyala, K Rao & Karlsson, Sune, 1997. "Numerical Methods for Estimation and Inference in Bayesian VAR-Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 99-132, March-Apr.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
- Fernandez, F Javier & Harvey, Andrew C, 1990. "Seemingly Unrelated Time Series Equations and a Test for Homogeneity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 71-81, January.
- Barassi, Marco R. & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Hall, Stephen G., 2005. "Interest rate linkages: a Kalman filter approach to detecting structural change," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-284, March.
- Clinton Watkins & Michael McAleer, 2004. "Econometric modelling of non-ferrous metal prices," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 651-701, December.
- Toni Gravelle & James Morley, 2005. "A Kalman filter approach to characterizing the Canadian term structure of interest rates," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(10), pages 691-705.
- Ni, Shawn & Sun, Dongchu, 2003. "Noninformative priors and frequentist risks of bayesian estimators of vector-autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 159-197, July.
- Pollock, D. S. G., 2003. "Recursive estimation in econometrics," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 37-75, October.
- Filippo Moauro & Giovanni Savio, 2005. "Temporal disaggregation using multivariate structural time series models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 214-234, 07.
- Godolphin, E.J. & Triantafyllopoulos, Kostas, 2006. "Decomposition of time series models in state-space form," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2232-2246, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jof:jforec:v:26:y:2007:i:8:p:551-569. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.