The evolution of sales forecasting management: a 20-year longitudinal study of forecasting practices
This paper presents results of a survey designed to discover how sales forecasting management practices have changed over the past 20 years as compared to findings reported by Mentzer and Cox (1984) and Mentzer and Kahn (1995). An up-to-date overview of empirical studies on forecasting practice is also presented. A web-based survey of forecasting executives was employed to explore trends in forecasting management, familiarity, satisfaction, usage, and accuracy among companies in a variety of industries. Results revealed decreased familiarity with forecasting techniques, and decreased levels of forecast accuracy. Implications for managers and suggestions for future research are presented. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 25 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott Armstrong, J., 1988. "Research needs in forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 449-465.
- Barry L. Bayus & William P. Putsis, Jr., 1999. "Product Proliferation: An Empirical Analysis of Product Line Determinants and Market Outcomes," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(2), pages 137-153.
- Klassen, Robert D. & Flores, Benito E., 2001. "Forecasting practices of Canadian firms: Survey results and comparisons," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 163-174, March.
- DeRoeck, Richard, 1991. "Is there a gap between forecasting theory and practice? A personal view," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-2, May.
- Mahmoud, Essam & DeRoeck, Richard & Brown, Robert & Rice, Gillian, 1992. "Bridging the gap between theory and practice in forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 251-267, October.
- Mady, M. Tawfik, 2000. "Sales forecasting practices of Egyptian public enterprises: survey evidence," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 359-368.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jof:jforec:v:25:y:2006:i:5:p:303-324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.