The evolution of sales forecasting management: a 20-year longitudinal study of forecasting practices
This paper presents results of a survey designed to discover how sales forecasting management practices have changed over the past 20 years as compared to findings reported by Mentzer and Cox (1984) and Mentzer and Kahn (1995). An up-to-date overview of empirical studies on forecasting practice is also presented. A web-based survey of forecasting executives was employed to explore trends in forecasting management, familiarity, satisfaction, usage, and accuracy among companies in a variety of industries. Results revealed decreased familiarity with forecasting techniques, and decreased levels of forecast accuracy. Implications for managers and suggestions for future research are presented. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 25 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klassen, Robert D. & Flores, Benito E., 2001. "Forecasting practices of Canadian firms: Survey results and comparisons," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 163-174, March.
- Mady, M. Tawfik, 2000. "Sales forecasting practices of Egyptian public enterprises: survey evidence," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 359-368.
- Barry L. Bayus & William P. Putsis, Jr., 1999. "Product Proliferation: An Empirical Analysis of Product Line Determinants and Market Outcomes," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(2), pages 137-153.
- Mahmoud, Essam & DeRoeck, Richard & Brown, Robert & Rice, Gillian, 1992. "Bridging the gap between theory and practice in forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 251-267, October.
- Scott Armstrong, J., 1988. "Research needs in forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 449-465.
- DeRoeck, Richard, 1991. "Is there a gap between forecasting theory and practice? A personal view," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-2, May.