Properties of expert adjustments on model-based SKU-level forecasts
The recent literature on expert adjustment of model-based forecasts at the SKU level suggests that such adjustments occur quite frequently. Second, over-optimism of experts is found to cause adjustments to be upwards more often than downwards. We analyze a unique database containing one-step-ahead model-based forecasts adjusted by many experts, who are located in 37 countries, and are making forecasts for pharmaceutical products within 7 distinct categories. Our results are consistent with earlier findings that the experts make frequent adjustments and that these tend to be upward. Next, and this is new to the literature, we document the fact that expert adjustment itself is largely predictable, where the weight of a forecaster's own earlier adjustment is about three times as large as the weight of past model-based forecast errors. We also show that expert adjustment is not independent of the model-based forecasts, and we argue that this affects the way we should evaluate the contribution of expert adjustment to the overall forecast quality.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Blattberg & Stephen J. Hoch, 1990. "Database Models and Managerial Intuition: 50% Model + 50% Manager," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(8), pages 887-899, August.
- Klassen, Robert D. & Flores, Benito E., 2001. "Forecasting practices of Canadian firms: Survey results and comparisons," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 163-174, March.
- O'Connor, Marcus & Remus, William & Griggs, Ken, 1993. "Judgemental forecasting in times of change," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-172, August.
- Lawrence, M. & O'Connor, M., 1996. "Judgement or models: The importance of task differences," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 245-254, June.
- Stekler, H.O., 2007. "The future of macroeconomic forecasting: Understanding the forecasting process," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 237-248.
- Bunn, Derek W. & Salo, Ahti A., 1996. "Adjustment of forecasts with model consistent expectations," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 163-170, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:25:y:2009:i:1:p:35-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.