The Role of Extensive Margins of Exports in The Great Export Recovery in Germany, 2009/2010
This paper contributes to the literature by documenting for the first time the contribution of adding (and dropping) goods and destination countries to the sharp increase in exports of goods in the German economy as a whole during the Great Export Recovery in 2009/2010. The empirical investigation finds that firms that exported in both 2009 and 2010 are much more important for the export dynamics than export starters and export stoppers. Firms that increased their exports (and that were the drivers of the export boom) exported on average more goods and to more destination countries in 2009 than firms that decreased their exports, and they increased both extensive margins of exports on average while firms with decreased exports reduced both the number of goods exported and the number of countries exported to.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 234 (2014)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giordano Mion, 2011.
"Trade crisis - what trade crisis?,"
CentrePiece - The Magazine for Economic Performance
336, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2011. "Trade Crisis ? What Trade Crisis ?," Cahiers de recherche 1117, CIRPEE.
- Kristian Behrens & Giordano Mion, 2010. "Trade crisis? What trade crisis?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 48910, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Behrens, Kristian & Corcos, Gregory & Mion, Giordano, 2010. "Trade Crisis? What Trade Crisis?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7956, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2010. "Trade Crisis? What Trade Crisis?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0995, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2010. "Trade crisis ? What trade crisis ?," Working Paper Research 195, National Bank of Belgium.
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2013. "Trade crisis?: what trade crisis?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 42664, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2013.
"The granular nature of the great export collapse in German manufacturing industries, 2008/2009,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 7, pages 1-21.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2012. "The granular nature of the great export collapse in German manufacturing industries, 2008/2009," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-50, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"German multiple-product, multiple-destination exporters: Bernard-Redding-Schott under test,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
242, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "German multiple-product, multiple-destination exporters: Bernard-Redding-Schott under test," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1708-1714.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2010. "Exports and sectoral financial dependence: evidence on French firms during the great global crisis," Working Paper Series 1227, European Central Bank.
- Rudolfs Bems & Robert C. Johnson & Kei-Mu Yi, 2012.
"The Great Trade Collapse,"
NBER Working Papers
18632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:234:y:2014:i:4:p:518-526. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.