Financial Development And Growth: A Panel Smooth Regression Approach
In this paper, we propose an original framework to determine the relative influence of series of variables on the linkage between financial development and economic growth. Based on panel threshold regression models, we establish country-specific and time-specific finance-growth coefficients for 71 countries, both developed and developing, from 1960 to 2004. The results show that inflation rate, ratio of government consumption, degree of openness to trade and financial development affect the non-linearity between financial development and growth, and have the greatest influence on the relationship of two variables.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexandru Minea & Patrick Villieu, 2008. "Un réexamen de la relation non linéaire entre déficits budgétaires et croissance économique," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 59(3), pages 561-570.
- Elena Ketteni & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos & Andreas Savvides, 2005.
"Is the Financial Development and Economic Growth Relationship Nonlinear?,"
0501, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Thanasis Stengos & Andreas Savvides & Theofanis Mamuneas & Elena Ketteni, 2007. "Is the Financial Development and Economic Growth Relationship Nonlinear?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(14), pages 1-12.
- L. Deidda, 1999.
"Interaction between Economic and Financial Development,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199913, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Deidda, Luca G., 2006. "Interaction between economic and financial development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 233-248, March.
- Gilbert Colletaz & Christophe Hurlin, 2006.
"Threshold Effects of the Public Capital Productivity : An International Panel Smooth Transition Approach,"
- Gilbert COLLETAZ & Christophe HURLIN, 2006. "Threshold Effects of the Public Capital Productivity : An International Panel Smooth Transition Approach," Working Papers 1669, Orleans Economic Laboratorys, University of Orleans.
- Gilbert Colletaz & Christophe Hurlin, 2008. "Threshold Effects in the Public Capital Productivity: An International Panel Smooth Transition Approach," Working Papers halshs-00724208, HAL.
- Fouquau, Julien & Hurlin, Christophe & Rabaud, Isabelle, 2008.
"The Feldstein-Horioka puzzle: A panel smooth transition regression approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 284-299, March.
- Julien Fouquau & Christophe Hurlin & Isabelle Rabaud, 2007. "The Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle: a Panel SmoothTransition Regression Approach," Working Papers halshs-00156688, HAL.
- Julien FOUQUAU & Christophe HURLIN & Isabelle RABAUD, 2006. "The Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle : a Panel Smooth Transition Regression Approach," Working Papers 1610, Orleans Economic Laboratorys, University of Orleans.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1997.
"Threshold effects in non-dynamic panels: Estimation, testing and inference,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
365, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1999. "Threshold effects in non-dynamic panels: Estimation, testing, and inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 345-368, December.
- Felix Rioja & Neven Valev, 2004.
"Finance and the Sources of Growth at Various Stages of Economic Development,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(1), pages 127-140, January.
- Neven Valev & Felix Rioja, 2002. "Finance and the Sources of Growth at Various Stages of Economic Development," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0217, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Deidda, Luca & Fattouh, Bassam, 2002.
"Non-linearity between finance and growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 339-345, February.
- Rousseau, Peter L. & Wachtel, Paul, 2002. "Inflation thresholds and the finance-growth nexus," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 777-793, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:35:y:2010:i:1:p:15-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.