Is Long-Run Output Convergence Associated With International Cooperation? Some New Evidence For Selected African Countries
This study assesses long-run real per capita income convergence among selected African countries. The empirical investigation is based on an alternative approach. Strong convergence is determined on the basis of the first largest principal component, based on income differences with respect to a chosen base country, being stationary. This qualitative outcome of the test is invariant to the choice of base country and, compared to alternative multivariate tests for long-run convergence, this methodology places less demands on limited data sets. Using annual data for the period 1960-2000, strong convergence is confirmed for the Communaute Financiere Africaine and South African Customs Union countries. An amended version of the test is unable to confirm weaker long-run convergence in the case of the Economic Community of West African States countries.
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chihwa Kao & Suzanne McCoskey, 1997.
"A Residual-Based Test Of The Null Of Cointegration In Panel Data,"
- Suzanne McCoskey & Chihwa Kao, 1998. "A residual-based test of the null of cointegration in panel data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 57-84.
- Mills, Terence C & Holmes, Mark J, 1999. "Common Trends and Cycles in European Industrial Production: Exchange Rate Regimes and Economic Convergence," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 67(4), pages 557-87, September.
- S. Dobson & C. Ramlogan, 2002. "Economic Growth and Convergence in Latin America," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(6), pages 83-104.
- Afonso Ferreira, 2000. "Convergence in Brazil: recent trends and long-run prospects," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 479-489.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Fielding, David & Shields, Kalvinder, 2001.
"Modelling macroeconomic shocks in the CFA Franc Zone,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 199-223, October.
- David Fielding & Kalvinder Shields, 2000. "Modeling Macroeconomic Shocks in the CFA Franc Zone," Discussion Papers in Economics 00/7, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- R. Nagaraj & A. Varoudakis & M.-A. Véganzonès, 2000.
"Long-run growth trends and convergence across Indian States,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 45-70.
- Rayaprolu Nagaraj & Aristomène Varoudakis & Marie-Ange Véganzonès, 1998. "Long-Run Growth Trends and Convergence Across Indian States," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 131, OECD Publishing.
- Robert Kaestner & Lisa Dubay & Genevieve Kenney, 2002. "Medicaid Managed Care and Infant Health: A National Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 8936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "Estimating the Effect of Currency Unions on Trade and Output," NBER Working Papers 7857, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:30:y:2005:i:2:p:67-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.