Is Long-Run Output Convergence Associated With International Cooperation? Some New Evidence For Selected African Countries
This study assesses long-run real per capita income convergence among selected African countries. The empirical investigation is based on an alternative approach. Strong convergence is determined on the basis of the first largest principal component, based on income differences with respect to a chosen base country, being stationary. This qualitative outcome of the test is invariant to the choice of base country and, compared to alternative multivariate tests for long-run convergence, this methodology places less demands on limited data sets. Using annual data for the period 1960-2000, strong convergence is confirmed for the Communaute Financiere Africaine and South African Customs Union countries. An amended version of the test is unable to confirm weaker long-run convergence in the case of the Economic Community of West African States countries.
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reuven Glick & Andrew K. Rose, 2001.
"Does a currency union affect trade? the time series evidence,"
Working Paper Series
2001-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Glick, Reuven & Rose, Andrew K., 2002. "Does a currency union affect trade? The time-series evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 1125-1151, June.
- Reuven Glick & Andrew K. Rose, 2001. "Does a Currency Union Affect Trade? The Time Series Evidence," NBER Working Papers 8396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glick, Reuven & Rose, Andrew K, 2001. "Does a Currency Union Affect Trade? The Time Series Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2891, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chihwa Kao & Suzanne McCoskey, 1997.
"A Residual-Based Test Of The Null Of Cointegration In Panel Data,"
- Suzanne McCoskey & Chihwa Kao, 1998. "A residual-based test of the null of cointegration in panel data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 57-84.
- Robert Kaestner & Lisa Dubay & Genevieve Kenney, 2002. "Medicaid Managed Care and Infant Health: A National Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 8936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rayaprolu Nagaraj & Aristomène Varoudakis & Marie-Ange Véganzonès, 1998.
"Long-Run Growth Trends and Convergence Across Indian States,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
131, OECD Publishing.
- R. Nagaraj & A. Varoudakis & M.-A. Véganzonès, 2000. "Long-run growth trends and convergence across Indian States," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 45-70.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "Estimating the Effect of Currency Unions on Trade and Output," NBER Working Papers 7857, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mills, Terence C & Holmes, Mark J, 1999. "Common Trends and Cycles in European Industrial Production: Exchange Rate Regimes and Economic Convergence," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 67(4), pages 557-87, September.
- S. Dobson & C. Ramlogan, 2002. "Economic Growth and Convergence in Latin America," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(6), pages 83-104.
- Fielding, David & Shields, Kalvinder, 2001.
"Modelling macroeconomic shocks in the CFA Franc Zone,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 199-223, October.
- David Fielding & Kalvinder Shields, 2000. "Modeling Macroeconomic Shocks in the CFA Franc Zone," Discussion Papers in Economics 00/7, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Afonso Ferreira, 2000. "Convergence in Brazil: recent trends and long-run prospects," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 479-489.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:30:y:2005:i:2:p:67-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.