Testing The Validity Of Purchasing Power Parity For Asian Countries During The Current Float
Previous studies on purchasing power parity (PPP), using unit root tests, have tested either the null hypothesis of a unit root or the null of stationary real exchange rate. It has been argued that using either approach is insufficient to confirm the existence or non-existence of PPP. To strengthen inferences made about a series, the two approaches should be applied within the same study. In contrast to previous studies undertaken to test PPP in developing countries, this paper tests PPP for a sample of developing countries in the Asian financial crisis countries during the current float. The paper applies the ADF and PP tests to test the null of a unit root and the newly developed KPSS test to test the null of stationarity. The null of a unit root can be rejected for Indonesia, Korea and Thailand. We cannot reject the null of stationarity for all countries except for Singapore. Joint testing of both nulls confirms stationarity for Indonesia and Korea. The impact of the Asian financial crisis on the behavior of the real exchange rates in the crisis countries is examined using Perron¡¯s unit root test that accounts for potential structural breaks. The results indicate evidence of stationarity for Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, and Thailand.
Volume (Year): 28 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994.
"Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688 Elsevier.
- Ken Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, . "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," Working Paper 32027, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- MacDonald, Ronald, 1996. "Panel unit root tests and real exchange rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 7-11, January.
- L. Achy, 2003. "Parity reversion persistence in real exchange rates: middle income country case," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 541-553.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- N/A, 1998. "The world economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 165(1), pages 3-3, July.
- Kari Heimonen, 1999. "Stationarity of the European real exchange rates-evidence from panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(6), pages 673-677.
- N/A, 1998. "The World Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 163(1), pages 3-3, January.
- N/A, 1998. "The world economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 166(1), pages 3-3, October.
- N/A, 1998. "The World Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 164(1), pages 3-3, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:28:y:2003:i:2:p:129-147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.