Multivariate partial adjustment of financial ratios: a Bayesian hierarchical approach
In this paper we propose a multivariate extension of the partial adjustment model of financial ratios. To that end, we use a dynamic factor model which assumes that financial ratios measuring, essentially, the same economic-financial dimension of the firm evolve in a similar way, reflecting the evolution of the common factor. The proposed model is hierarchical with three levels. The first describes the relationship between each ratio and its common factor; the second describes the evolution of the common factors over time by means of Lev's (1969) partial adjustment model; and the third analyzes the similarity of firms' adjustment coefficients, taking into account their characteristics. The methodology is applied to the analysis of a set of financial ratios related to the business and financial structure of the firm. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/ |
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gallizo, José Luis & Jiménez, Fernando & Salvador, Manuel, 2002. "Adjusting financial ratios: a Bayesian analysis of the Spanish manufacturing sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 185-195, June.
- Gallizo, Jose L. & Salvador, Manuel, 2003. "Understanding the behavior of financial ratios: the adjustment process," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 267-283.
- Wu, Chunchi & Ho, Shih-Jen Kathy, 1997. " Financial Ratio Adjustment: Industry-Wide Effects or Strategic Management," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 71-88, July.
- Serrano Cinca, C. & Mar Molinero, C. & Gallizo Larraz, J.L., 2005. "Country and size effects in financial ratios: A European perspective," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 26-47, August.
- Peles, Yoram C & Schneller, Meir I, 1989. "The Duration of the Adjustment Process of Financial Ratios," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 527-32, August.
- Christos Ioannidis & David A. Peel & Michael J. Peel, 2003. "The Time Series Properties of Financial Ratios: Lev Revisited," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5-6), pages 699-714.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jae:japmet:v:23:y:2008:i:1:p:43-64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.