Analyzing long-term average adjustment of financial ratios with spatial interactions
The aim of this paper is to put forward a beta convergence model using spatial interaction to evaluate the dynamics of financial ratios. We overcome some of the limitations that come from the traditional partial adjustment model by relating both models. We show that the parameters of the two models may be connected. As an example, we discuss the case of a large sample of medium to high-tech industrial small and medium enterprises (SMEs) located along the Spanish Mediterranean coast. Our findings support the existence of a long-term average adjustment process in the financial ratios of this set of companies which depends on the characteristics of the firms in their neighborhood.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Faulkender & Rong Wang, 2006. "Corporate Financial Policy and the Value of Cash," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(4), pages 1957-1990, 08.
- Rafael Boix, 2012. "Facing globalization and increased trade: Catalonia's evolution from industrial region to knowledge and creative economy," Regional Science Policy & Practice, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 97-112, 03.
- Acharya, Viral V & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2005.
"Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2007. "Is cash negative debt? A hedging perspective on corporate financial policies," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 515-554, October.
- Viral V. Acharya & Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello, 2005. "Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies," NBER Working Papers 11391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peles, Yoram C & Schneller, Meir I, 1989. "The Duration of the Adjustment Process of Financial Ratios," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 527-32, August.
- Viviana Fernández, 2007.
"Spatial Linkages in International Financial Markets,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Viviana Fernandez, 2011. "Spatial linkages in international financial markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 237-245.
- Stephen Dobson & Carlyn Ramlogan-Dobson & Eric Strobl, 2012. "Convergence or divergence in cross-country growth?," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(3), pages 417-424, November.
- Robert M. Solow, 1956. "A Contribution to the Theory of Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 65-94.
- Lee Pinkowitz & René Stulz & Rohan Williamson, 2006. "Does the Contribution of Corporate Cash Holdings and Dividends to Firm Value Depend on Governance? A Cross-country Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2725-2751, December.
- Jose Luis Gallizo & Pilar Gargallo & Manuel Salvador, 2008. "Multivariate partial adjustment of financial ratios: a Bayesian hierarchical approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 43-64.
- Jesús Mur & Fernando López & Marcos Herrera, 2010. "Testing for Spatial Effects in Seemingly Unrelated Regressions," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(4), pages 399-440.
- Wu, Chunchi & Ho, Shih-Jen Kathy, 1997. "Financial Ratio Adjustment: Industry-Wide Effects or Strategic Management," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 71-88, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:29:y:2012:i:4:p:1370-1376. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.