Smoothed binary regression quantiles
This paper extends results regarding smoothed median binary regression to general smoothed binary quantile regression, discusses the interpretation of the resulting estimators under alternative assumptions, and shows how they may be used to obtain semiparametric estimates of counterfactual probabilities. The estimators are applied to a model of labour force participation of married women in the USA. We find that the elasticity with respect to non-labour income is significantly negative only for women that belong to the middle of the conditional willingness-to-participate (WTP) distribution. In comparing the quantile models with parametric logit and semiparametric single-index specifications, we find that the models agree closely for women around the centre of the WTP distribution, but there are considerable disagreements as we move towards the tails of the distribution. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 21 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of a work-trip mode choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 49-70, July.
- Manski, Charles F., 1985. "Semiparametric analysis of discrete response : Asymptotic properties of the maximum score estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 313-333, March.
- Newey, Whitney K & Powell, James L, 1987. "Asymmetric Least Squares Estimation and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 819-47, July.
- Bartik, Timothy J. & Butler, J. S. & Liu, Jin-Tan, 1992.
"Maximum score estimates of the determinants of residential mobility: Implications for the value of residential attachment and neighborhood amenities,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 233-256, September.
- Timothy J. Bartik & J.S. Butler & Jin-Tan Liu, . "Maximum Score Estimates of the Determinants of Residential Mobility: Implications for the Value of Residential Attachment and Neighborhood Amenities," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles tjb1992jue, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Timothy J. Bartik & J.S. Butler & Jin Tan Liu, 1990. "Maximum Score Estimates of the Determinants of Residential Mobility: Implications for the Value of Residential Attachment and Neighborhood Amenities," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 90-01, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- HÄRDLE, Wolfgang, 1992.
"Applied nonparametric methods,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1992003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9204, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Wolfgang Hardle & Oliver Linton, 1994. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1069, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9206, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Härdle, W.K., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Discussion Paper 1992-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- Ana Fernandez & Juan Rodriquez-Poo, 1997. "Estimation and specification testing in female labor participation models: parametric and semiparametric methods," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 229-247.
- Klein, Roger W & Spady, Richard H, 1993.
"An Efficient Semiparametric Estimator for Binary Response Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(2), pages 387-421, March.
- Klein, R.W. & Spady, R.H., 1991. "An Efficient Semiparametric Estimator for Binary Response Models," Papers 70, Bell Communications - Economic Research Group.
- Oliver LINTON, .
"Applied nonparametric methods,"
Statistic und Oekonometrie
9312, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Goffe, William L. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Rogers, John, 1994. "Global optimization of statistical functions with simulated annealing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 65-99.
- Powell, James L., 1984. "Least absolute deviations estimation for the censored regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 303-325, July.
- Koenker, Roger & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1982. "Robust Tests for Heteroscedasticity Based on Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 43-61, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jae:japmet:v:21:y:2006:i:3:p:387-407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.