The efficiency of emerging Europe’s banking sector before and after the recent economic crisis
This paper provides estimates for the relative efficiency of banks in emerging Europe before the recent boom, just before the crisis, and right after the crisis, using a Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). The results suggest that DEA efficiency scores before the recent crisis were strongly linked to the host country’s level of development; were higher for foreign-owned banks; but did not stand out for bank groups with a presence in more than one country. The results also suggest that bank efficiency increased during the precrisis boom, but fell during the crisis. Finally, foreign-owned banks in emerging Europe seem to be less efficient than their mother banks, suggesting that although they may bring some efficiency benefits to their host country, they are highly affected by the local business and operational environment.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.fintp.hr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas D. Evanoff & Philip R. Israilevich, 1991. "Productive efficiency in banking," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Jul, pages 11-32.
- Olena Havrylchyk & Emilia Jurzyk, 2008.
"Inherited or Earned? Performance of Foreign Banks in Central and Eastern Europe,"
2008-16, CEPII research center.
- Havrylchyk, Olena & Jurzyk, Emilia, 2011. "Inherited or earned? Performance of foreign banks in Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1291-1302, May.
- Emilia Magdalena Jurzyk & Olena Havrylchyk, 2010. "Inherited or Earned? Performance of Foreign Banks in Central and Eastern Europe," IMF Working Papers 10/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Havrylchyk, Olena & Jurzyk, Emilia, 2006. "Profitability of foreign banks in Central and Eastern Europe: Does the entry mode matter?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 5/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Tigran Poghosyan & Subal Kumbhakar, 2010. "Heterogeneity of technological regimes and banking efficiency in former socialist economies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 19-31, February.
- repec:hal:psewpa:halshs-00967419 is not listed on IDEAS
- Inci Ã–tker & Karl Driessen & ZsÃ³fia Ãrvai, 2009.
"Regional Financial Interlinkages and Financial Contagion within Europe,"
IMF Working Papers
09/6, International Monetary Fund.
- Zsófia Arvai & Karl Driessen & Ínci Ötker-Robe, 2009. "Regional Financial Interlinkages and Financial Contagion within Europe," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(6), pages 522-540, December.
- Torsten Wezel, 2010. "Bank Efficiency amid Foreign Entry: Evidence from the Central American Region," IMF Working Papers 10/95, International Monetary Fund.
- Poghosyan Tigran & Poghosyan Arsen, 2009.
"Foreign Bank Entry, Bank Efficiency and Market Power in Central and Eastern European Countries,"
EERC Working Paper Series
09/01e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Tigran Poghosyan & Arsen Poghosyan, 2010. "Foreign bank entry, bank efficiency and market power in Central and Eastern European Countries," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 18(3), pages 571-598, 07.
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1995.
"Efficiency Analysis In Banking Firms: An International Comparison,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1995-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Pastor, JoseManuel & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 1997. "Efficiency analysis in banking firms: An international comparison," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 395-407, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Suominen, Matti, 1993. "Banking efficiency in the Nordic countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 371-388, April.
- Sengupta, Jati K., 1999. "A dynamic efficiency model using data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 209-218, September.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hancock, Diana & Humphrey, David B., 1993. "Bank efficiency derived from the profit function," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 317-347, April.
- Hovhannes Toroyan & George C. Anayiotos, 2009. "Institutional Factors and Financial Sector Development: Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 09/258, International Monetary Fund.
- Arie Y. Lewin & John W. Minton, 1986. "Determining Organizational Effectiveness: Another Look, and an Agenda for Research," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 514-538, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipf:finteo:v:34:y:2010:i:3:p:247-267. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Fabris)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.