Efficiency analysis in banking firms: An international comparison
The intensive process of financial European integration, together with the profound transformation and deregulation that has taken place in the Spanish Banking System, justifies the evaluation of its efficiency in comparison with that of other banking systems. In this context, the aim of this study is to analyze the productivity, efficiency and differences in technology of several banking systems. Using a non-parametric approach together with the Malmquist index, we compare the efficiency, productivity and differences in technology of different European and US banking systems for the year 1992. Finally, for a subsample of banks belonging to the same group of countries, using real as opposed to nominal quantities of labor, we introduce corrections on efficiency measures, by introducing the services provided to customers by the branch network and the degree of solvency determined by capital ratio. When we consider these other features in computing efficiency, we find significant changes in the ranking of particular banks according to efficiency. El intenso proceso de integración financiera europea, junto con la profunda transformación y desregulación que ha tenido lugar en el Sistema Bancario Español, justifica la evaluación de su eficiencia en comparación con otros sistemas bancarios de su entorno. En este contexto, el propósito del presente estudio ha sido analizar las diferencias en productividad, eficiencia y tecnología de varios sistemas bancarios. Mediante el uso con. unto de una técnica frontera no paramétrica y el índice de Malmquist se analizan las diferencias de productividad, eficiencia y tecnología de diferentes sistemas bancarios europeos y el sistema bancario norteamericano. Finalmente, para una submuestra de bancos pertenecientes al mismo grupo de países y utilizando magnitudes físicas de empleo en lugar de nominales, se introducen algunas correcciones en las medidas de eficiencia al considerar los servicios provistos por las oficinas a la clientela y e
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1991.
"The dominance of inefficiencies over scale and product mix economies in banking,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 117-148, August.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1990. "The dominance of inefficiencies over scale and product mix economies in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 107, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Loretta J. Mester, 1989.
"Testing for Expense Preference Behavior: Mutual versus Stock Savings and Loans,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(4), pages 483-498, Winter.
- Loretta J. Mester, 1989. "Testing for expense preference behavior: mutual versus stock savings and loans," Working Papers 89-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Page, John M, Jr, 1982. "Total Factor Productivity Growth, Technological Progress and Technical Efficiency Change: Dimensions of Productivity Change in Yugoslavia, 1965-78," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 920-36, December.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1995. "Eficiencia, Cambio Productivo Y Cambio Técnico En Los Bancos Y Cajas De Ahorro Españolas: Un Análisis Frontera No Paramétrico," Working Papers. Serie EC 1995-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Allen N. Berger & Gerald A. Hanweck & David B. Humphrey, 1986.
"Competitive viability in banking: scale, scope, and product mix economies,"
Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Hanweck, Gerald A. & Humphrey, David B., 1987. "Competitive viability in banking : Scale, scope, and product mix economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 501-520, December.
- Rangan, Nanda & Grabowski, Richard & Aly, Hassan Y. & Pasurka, Carl, 1988. "The technical efficiency of US banks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 169-175.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hancock, Diana & Humphrey, David B., 1993. "Bank efficiency derived from the profit function," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 317-347, April.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Mehdian, Seyed, 1992. "Productive efficiency performance of minority and nonminority-owned banks: A nonparametric approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 933-948, September.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Aly, Hassan Y, et al, 1990. "Technical, Scale, and Allocative Efficiencies in U.S. Banking: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 211-218, May.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1992. " Malmquist Indices of Productivity Growth during the Deregulation of Norwegian Banking, 1980-89," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages 211-228, Supplemen.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Suominen, Matti, 1993. "Banking efficiency in the Nordic countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 371-388, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:98:y:1997:i:2:p:395-407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.