Financial Reforms and Banking Efficiency: Case of Pakistan
This paper attempts to analyze the performance of the banking sector of Pakistan in the light of second generation reforms on the domestic scheduled banks by using data from 1990 to 2008. For this purpose I used Non Parametric Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). The analysis revealed an overall improvement in the efficiency of commercial banks. It implies that financial sector reforms, particularly the second phase of reforms, improved the efficiency of the commercial bank in Pakistan. After the reforms, pure technical efficiency increased as compared to scale efficiency and it was found that the overall efficiency of the industry has increased due to pure technical efficiency. The study concludes that the reforms were successful in improving the efficiency of the domestic commercial banks in Pakistan.
|Date of creation:||06 Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banker, Rajiv D & Maindiratta, Ajay, 1988. "Nonparametric Analysis of Technical and Allocative Efficiencies in Production," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1315-32, November.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Suominen, Matti, 1993. "Banking efficiency in the Nordic countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 371-388, April.
- Aly, Hassan Y, et al, 1990. "Technical, Scale, and Allocative Efficiencies in U.S. Banking: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 211-18, May.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- repec:pid:journl:v:35:y:1996:i:3:p:203-213 is not listed on IDEAS
- John C. Topuz & Ali F. Darrat & Roger M. Shelor, 2005. "Technical, Allocative and Scale Efficiencies of REITs:," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(9-10), pages 1961-1994.
- Altunbas, Yener & Goddard, John & Molyneux, Phil, 1999. "Technical change in banking," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 215-221, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.