Sequencing JIT Mixed-Model Assembly Lines Under Station-Load and Part-Usage Constraints
This paper deals with two most important problems, from both practical and theoretical standpoints, arising in sequencing mixed-model assembly lines. Such lines have become core components of modern repetitive manufacturing, and just-in-time (JIT) manufacturing in particular. One problem is to keep the usage rate of all parts fed into the final assembly as constant as possible (the "level-scheduling problem"), while the other is to keep the line's workstation loads as constant as possible (the "car-sequencing problem"). In this paper the combined problem is formulated as a single-integer programming model. The LP-relaxation of this model is solved by column-generation techniques. The results of an experimental evaluation show that the lower bounds are tight.
Volume (Year): 47 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert R. Inman & Robert L. Bulfin, 1991. "Note---Sequencing JIT Mixed-Model Assembly Lines," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(7), pages 901-904, July.
- George Steiner & Scott Yeomans, 1993. "Level Schedules for Mixed-Model, Just-in-Time Processes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(6), pages 728-735, June.
- Li-Hui Tsai, 1995. "Mixed-Model Sequencing to Minimize Utility Work and the Risk of Conveyor Stoppage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(3), pages 485-495, March.
- Wieslaw Kubiak & Suresh Sethi, 1991. "A Note on "Level Schedules for Mixed-Model Assembly Lines in Just-in-Time Production Systems"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 121-122, January.
- John Miltenburg, 1989. "Level Schedules for Mixed-Model Assembly Lines in Just-In-Time Production Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(2), pages 192-207, February.
- Kubiak, Wieslaw, 1993. "Minimizing variation of production rates in just-in-time systems: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 259-271, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:47:y:2001:i:3:p:480-491. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.