Optimal Lead Time Policies
This paper examines two due-date setting problems first studied by Wein (1991). The first problem seeks to minimize the average due-date lead time (due-date minus arrival date) of jobs subject to a constraint on the fraction of tardy jobs (Problem I) while the second uses the same objective subject to a constraint on average job tardiness (Problem II). We show that under very general conditions, Problem I leads to unethical practice (i.e., quote lead times for which there is no hope to achieve when the system is highly congested) while Problem II results in policies that quote lead times that are monotonically increasing with the congestion level. Furthermore, we prove that Problem II is equivalent to a policy that is widely used and is easy to compute. This policy quotes lead times that guarantee the same serviceability level (the fraction of tardy jobs) to all jobs.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence M. Wein & Philippe B. Chevalier, 1992. "A Broader View of the Job-Shop Scheduling Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(7), pages 1018-1033, July.
- Izak Duenyas, 1995. "Single Facility Due Date Setting with Multiple Customer Classes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(4), pages 608-619, April.
- Izak Duenyas & Wallace J. Hopp, 1995. "Quoting Customer Lead Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(1), pages 43-57, January.
- Kenneth R. Baker, 1984. "Sequencing Rules and Due-Date Assignments in a Job Shop," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1093-1104, September.
- James K. Weeks, 1979. "A Simulation Study of Predictable Due-Dates," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(4), pages 363-373, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:2:p:290-295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.