New Firm Survival: Institutional Explanations for New Franchisor Mortality
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 327-349, June.
- Brickley, James A. & Dark, Frederick H., 1987. "The choice of organizational form The case of franchising," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 401-420, June.
- Norton, Seth W, 1988. "An Empirical Look at Franchising as an Organizational Form," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(2), pages 197-218, April.
- Gallini, Nancy T & Lutz, Nancy A, 1992. "Dual Distribution and Royalty Fees in Franchising," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 471-501, October.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 1999.
"The Dynamics of Franchise Contracting: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(5), pages 1041-1080, October.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 1996. "The Dynamics of Franchise Contracting: Evidence from Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 5585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin, Robert E, 1988. "Franchising and Risk Management," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 954-968, December.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1988.
"Patterns of Firm Entry and Exit in U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(4), pages 495-515, Winter.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "Pattenrs Of Firm Entry And Exit In U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Papers 1-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Francine Lafontaine, 1992. "Agency Theory and Franchising: Some Empirical Results," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(2), pages 263-283, Summer.
- Levinthal, Daniel, 1988. "A survey of agency models of organizations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 153-185, March.
- Rubin, Paul H, 1978. "The Theory of the Firm and the Structure of the Franchise Contract," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 223-233, April.
- Brickley, James A & Dark, Frederick H & Weisbach, Michael S, 1991.
"The Economic Effects of Franchise Termination Laws,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(1), pages 101-132, April.
- Brickley, J.A. & Dark, F.H. & Weisbach, M.S., 1988. "The Economic Effects Of Franchise Termination Laws," Papers 88-11, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1995. "The economics of franchise contracts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(1-2), pages 9-37, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francisco Díez-Martín & Alicia Blanco-González & Camilo Prado-Román, 2016. "Explaining nation-wide differences in entrepreneurial activity: a legitimacy perspective," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 1079-1102, December.
- repec:spr:busres:v:10:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s40685-016-0041-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ma, Tiejun & Tang, Leilei & McGroarty, Frank & Sung, Ming-Chien & Johnson, Johnnie E. V, 2016. "Time is money: Costing the impact of duration misperception in market prices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 255(2), pages 397-410.
- Barthélemy, Jérôme, 2011. "Agency and institutional influences on franchising decisions," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 93-103, January.
- Pe'er, Aviad & Keil, Thomas, 2013. "Are all startups affected similarly by clusters? Agglomeration, competition, firm heterogeneity, and survival," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 354-372.
- repec:kap:ejlwec:v:44:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s10657-015-9497-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:intemj:v:13:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s11365-016-0423-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Scott Shane & Venkatesh Shankar & Ashwin Aravindakshan, 2006. "The Effects of New Franchisor Partnering Strategies on Franchise System Size," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(5), pages 773-787, May.
- Franziska Stelzer, 2008. "Legitimierungsstrategien junger Unternehmen - Ergebnisse einer experimentellen Studie," Schumpeter Discussion Papers sdp08006, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Odile Chanut & Nadjoua Gharbi & Dominique Bonet Fernandez & Muhammad Shahbaz & E. Hachemi Aliouche, 2013. "Institutional Environments and the Internationalization of Franchise Chains: The Contrasting Cases of Three North African Countries," Working Papers 2013-39, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Der Foo, Maw & Kam Wong, Poh & Ong, Andy, 2005. "Do others think you have a viable business idea? Team diversity and judges' evaluation of ideas in a business plan competition," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 385-402, May.
- Monika Hamori, 2006. "Are franchises bad employers?," Working Papers Economia wp06-11, Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment.
- Pierre Azoulay & Scott Shane, 2001. "Entrepreneurs, Contracts, and the Failure of Young Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(3), pages 337-358, March.
- repec:bla:stratm:v:38:y:2017:i:8:p:1668-1687 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ipg:wpaper:2013-039 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aviad Pe'er & Ilan Vertinsky & Thomas Keil, 2016. "Growth and survival: The moderating effects of local agglomeration and local market structure," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 541-564, March.
- Khan Muhammad Rahatullah, 2013. "The Franchisee Perception of Achieving Success in Entrepreneurial Businesses," Entrepreneurship Research Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 3(4), pages 505-525, July.
- repec:ipg:wpaper:39 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:9:y:2017:i:8:p:1419-:d:107916 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sargent, John & Matthews, Linda, 2009. "China versus Mexico in the Global EPZ Industry: Maquiladoras, FDI Quality, and Plant Mortality," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1069-1082, June.
- Steven C. Michael, 2010.
Chapters,in: The Elgar Companion to Transaction Cost Economics, chapter 19
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Claude Ménard, 2011. "Hybrid Organizations," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00556728, HAL.
- Lucio Fuentelsaz & Consuelo González-Gil & Juan P. Maicas, 2015. "What determines entepreneurial failure: taking advantage of the institutional context," Documentos de Trabajo dt2015-05, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- Igor Laine & Tamara Galkina, 0. "The interplay of effectuation and causation in decision making: Russian SMEs under institutional uncertainty," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 0, pages 1-37.
More about this item
Keywordsfranchising; firm survival; institutional theory;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:2:p:142-159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/inforea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.