Volatility dynamics in three euro exchange rates: correlations, spillovers and commonality
In this paper we use three euro exchange rates to test for the presence of volatility spillovers, common volatility components and time-varying correlations using the multivariate-GARCH model and the common volatility methodology approach proposed by Engle and Kozicki (1993). Our results suggest that the three currencies exhibit some degree of volatility spillover and commonality in the driving force behind volatility movement. With regard to the nature of time-variation within the correlation coefficients the results indicate that correlations are time-varying but that the strength of the correlation coefficients has not increased over the sample period. These results support the view that while the three rates do exhibit some interrelationships, there is no evidence of continually increasing integration. This suggests that on the one hand there remains room for international diversification, and on the other hand that market participants have to take account of risk arising from idiosyncratic movement within the series.
Volume (Year): 1 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID==307|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Berben, Robert-Paul & Jansen, W. Jos, 2005.
"Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 832-857, September.
- R-P. Berben & W.J. Jansen, 2001. "Comovement in International Equity Markets: a Sectoral View," MEB Series (discontinued) 2001-11, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Robert-Paul Berben & W. Jos Jansen, 2003. "Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view," Finance 0310001, EconWPA.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Ng, Angela, 2000. "Volatility spillover effects from Japan and the US to the Pacific-Basin," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 207-233, April.
- G. Andrew Karoly & Rene Stulz, .
"Why do Markets Move Together? An Investigation of U.S.-Japan Stock Return Comovements,"
Research in Financial Economics
9603, Ohio State University.
- Karolyi, G Andrew & Stulz, Rene M, 1996. " Why Do Markets Move Together? An Investigation of U.S.-Japan Stock Return Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(3), pages 951-86, July.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Kyaw, NyoNyo A., 2005. "Equity market integration in the NAFTA region: Evidence from unit root and cointegration tests," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 393-406.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Redfearn, Michael R., 1993.
"Bear squeezes, volatility spillovers and speculative attacks in the hyperinflation 1920s foreign exchange,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 511-521, October.
- Baillie, R. & Bollerslev, T. & Redfearn, M.R., 1991. "Bear squeezes, volatility spillovers and speculative attacks in the hyperinflation 1920s foreign exchange," Discussion Paper 1991-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Kim, Suk Joong & Moshirian, Fariborz & Wu, Eliza, 2005. "Dynamic stock market integration driven by the European Monetary Union: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2475-2502, October.
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994.
"Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-33, July.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990. "Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taylor, Mark P & Tonks, Ian, 1989. "The Internationalisation of Stock Markets and the Abolition of U.K. Exchange Control," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 332-36, May.
- Patricia Fraser & Oluwatobi Oyefeso, 2005. "US, UK and European Stock Market Integration," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1-2), pages 161-181.
- Corhay, A. & Tourani Rad, A. & Urbain, J. -P., 1993. "Common stochastic trends in European stock markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 385-390.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements," NBER Working Papers 7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. D. Byers & D. A. Peel, 1995. "Bilinear quadratic ARCH and volatility spillovers in inter-war exchange rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(7), pages 215-219.
- Speight, Alan E. H. & McMillan, David G., 2001. "Volatility spillovers in East European black-market exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 367-378, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Kozicki, Sharon, 1993.
"Testing for Common Features,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 11(4), pages 369-80, October.
- Gregory C. Chow & Caroline C. Lawler, 2003. "A Time Series Analysis of the Shanghai and New York Stock Price Indices," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 4(1), pages 17-35, May.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Ng, Lilian K., 1996. "A causality-in-variance test and its application to financial market prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 33-48.
- William Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Rouwenhorst, 2001.
"Long-Term Global Market Correlations,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm237, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2008.
- William N.Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K.Geert Rouwenhorst, 2003. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 98, Netherlands Central Bank.
- William N. Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2001. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," NBER Working Papers 8612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mervyn A. King & Sushil Wadhwani, 1989.
"Transmission of Volatility Between Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
2910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roll, R., 1989. "Price Volatility, International Market Links, And Their Implications For Regulatory Policies," Papers t10, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Klaassen, F.J.G.M., 1999. "Have Exchange Rates Become More Closely Tied? Evidence from a New Multivariate GARCH Model," Discussion Paper 1999-10, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Richard T. Baillie & Tim Bollerslev, 1991. "Intra-Day and Inter-Market Volatility in Foreign Exchange Rates," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 565-585.
- Longin, Francois & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. "Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960-1990?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Angela Black & David McMillan, 2004. "Long run trends and volatility spillovers in daily exchange rates," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(12), pages 895-907.
- Rangvid, Jesper, 2001. "Increasing convergence among European stock markets?: A recursive common stochastic trends analysis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 383-389, June.
- Miyakoshi, Tatsuyoshi, 2003. "Spillovers of stock return volatility to Asian equity markets from Japan and the US," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 383-399, October.
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijfmkd:v:1:y:2009:i:1:p:64-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.