Some Problems of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in Albanian Holiday Hotels
This paper provides an analysis of the main characteristics of MSMEs in this sector and identifies the existing problems using data from 83 holiday hotels during summer 2006 in Durres region, which is the major sun-and-beach segment in Albania. The results of the survey are in line with the general economic situation in Albania which is characterised by the dominance of micro and small-sized enterprises, mainly family businesses. More specifically, the majority of the holiday hotels in the sample (82 per cent) are micro and small hotels and only four per cent are big hotels. One of the main problems arising from this situation is that hotels of this size match only the demand of individual clients or small groups of tourists and are generally not able to work with big tourist groups organised in package tours by the western operators. Finally, this paper provides interesting recommendations for policy makers, public authorities and hotel managers in order to identify the priorities for the development of the holiday hotels sector and tourism in Albania.
Volume (Year): II (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aakvik, Arild & Dahl, Svenn-Åge, 2004. "Transitions to Employment from Labour Market Enterprises in Norway," Working Papers in Economics 07/04, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Verspagen, Bart, 2009.
"Innovation studies--The emerging structure of a new scientific field,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 218-233, March.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2009. "Innovation Studies – the emerging structure of a new scientific field," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20090104, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Brodaty, Thomas & Crépon, Bruno & Fougère, Denis, 2000. "Using Matching Estimators to Evaluate Alternative Youth Employment Programs: Evidence from France, 1986-1988," CEPR Discussion Papers 2604, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Brodaty & Bruno Crépon & Denis Fougère, 2000. "Using Matching Estimators to Evaluate Alternative Youth Employment Programs : Evidence from France, 1986-1988," Working Papers 2000-25, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- F. Alfonso Arellano, 2010. "Do Training Programmes Get The Unemployed Back To Work? A Look At The Spanish Experience," Revista de Economia Aplicada, Universidad de Zaragoza, Departamento de Estructura Economica y Economia Publica, vol. 18(2), pages 39-65, Autumn.
- Arellano, F. Alfonso, 2005. "Do training programmes get the unemployedback to work?: a look at the Spanish experience," UC3M Working papers. Economics we052515, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Biewen, Martin & Fitzenberger, Bernd & Osikominu, Aderonke & Waller, Marie, 2007. "Which Program for Whom? Evidence on the Comparative Effectiveness of Public Sponsored Training Programs in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 2885, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Biewen, Martin & Fitzenberger, Bernd & Osikominu, Aderonke & Waller, Marie, 2007. "Which Program for Whom? Evidence on the Comparative Effectiveness of Public Sponsored Training Programs in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-042, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Laura A. Schintler & Sean P. Gorman & Aura Reggiani & Roberto Patuelli & Andy Gillespie & Peter Nijkamp & Jonathan Rutherford, 2004. "Complex Network Phenomena in Telecommunication Systems," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-118/3, Tinbergen Institute. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrs:journl:v:ii:y:2010:i:1:p:63-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dimitrios K. Kouzas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.