REGIONAL ECONOMIC GROWTH AND CONVERGENCE, 1950-2007: Some Empirical Evidence
This paper investigates and compares the experience of several geographic regions with economic growth and convergence in income per capita. Income per capita is correlated positively with saving rates and negatively with population growth rates, though the explanatory power of these two variables varies by region. The empirical findings are broadly supportive of conditional convergence at an estimated average annual rate that has ranged from 0.8% in Europe to 1.7% in Asia. It is also shown that the speed of convergence is far from constant over time: it has been steadily falling in the OECD and the Americas, but steadily increasing in Asia.
Volume (Year): II (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aakvik, Arild & Dahl, Svenn-Åge, 2004. "Transitions to Employment from Labour Market Enterprises in Norway," Working Papers in Economics 07/04, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Biewen, Martin & Fitzenberger, Bernd & Osikominu, Aderonke & Waller, Marie, 2007.
"Which Program for Whom? Evidence on the Comparative Effectiveness of Public Sponsored Training Programs in Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
07-042, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Biewen, Martin & Fitzenberger, Bernd & Osikominu, Aderonke & Waller, Marie, 2007. "Which Program for Whom? Evidence on the Comparative Effectiveness of Public Sponsored Training Programs in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 2885, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas Brodaty & Bruno Crépon & Denis Fougère, 2000.
"Using Matching Estimators to Evaluate Alternative Youth Employment Programs : Evidence from France, 1986-1988,"
2000-25, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Brodaty, Thomas & Crépon, Bruno & Fougère, Denis, 2000. "Using Matching Estimators to Evaluate Alternative Youth Employment Programs: Evidence from France, 1986-1988," CEPR Discussion Papers 2604, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F. Alfonso Arellano, 2010.
"Do Training Programmes Get The Unemployed Back To Work? A Look At The Spanish Experience,"
Revista de Economia Aplicada,
Universidad de Zaragoza, Departamento de Estructura Economica y Economia Publica, vol. 18(2), pages 39-65, Autumn.
- F. Alfonso Arellano, 2005. "Do Training Programmes Get The Unemployedback To Work?: A Look At The Spanish Experience," Economics Working Papers we052515, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2009.
"Innovation Studies – the emerging structure of a new scientific field,"
Working Papers on Innovation Studies
20090104, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Verspagen, Bart, 2009. "Innovation studies--The emerging structure of a new scientific field," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 218-233, March.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20040118 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrs:journl:v:ii:y:2010:i:1:p:11-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dimitrios K. Kouzas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.