Equity in the utilization of public health care services by regions in Spain: a multinivel analysis
The aim of this paper is to analyse if there is horizontal equity in the utilisation of public health care services by región (comunidad autónoma) of residence in Spain. Data from the 2006 National Health Survey were considered to undertake a multilevel analysis, using a binary logistic function for each of the public health care services analysed (general practitioner –GP- visits, specialist visits and hospitalisations). Health care need and other socioeconomic and demographic characteristics were controlled at individual level. It can be concluded that, although there is no evidence of territorial inequity in hospitalisations, there is territorial inequity in the case of GP and also of specialist visits, which can not be explained by regional differences in the availability of resources at both health care levels
Volume (Year): 187 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Cardenal Herrera Oria, 378, 28035 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulf- G. Gerdtham, 1997.
"Equity in Health Care Utilization: Further Tests Based on Hurdle Models and Swedish Micro Data,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 303-319.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G., 1996. "Equity in Health Care Utilisation: Further Tests Based on Hurdle models and Swedish Micro Data," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 116, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Xander Koolman, 2004. "Explaining the differences in income-related health inequalities across European countries," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 609-628.
- Tom Van Ourti, 2004. "Measuring horizontal inequity in Belgian health care using a Gaussian random effects two part count data model," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 705-724.
- O'Donnell, Owen & Propper, Carol, 1991. "Equity and the distribution of UK National Health Service resources," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-19, May.
- O'Donnell, Owen & Propper, Carol, 1991. "Equity and the distribution of U.K. National Health Service resources," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 247-249, July.
- Derek Bond and Prof. Denis Conniffe, 2002. "Cross-Regional Equity in Health Care Funding," NIRSA Working Paper Series 3, National Institute for Regional and Spatial Analysis (NIRSA), NUI Maynooth, Ireland..
- Bond. D. & Conniffe.D., 2002. "Cross-Regional Equality in Health Care Funding," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1120102.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Stephen Birch & John Eyles & K. Bruce Newbold, 1993. "Equitable access to health care: Methodological extensions to the analysis of physician utilization in Canada," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(2), pages 87-101, 07.
- S Birch & J Eyles & KM Newbold, 1993. "Equitable Access to Health Care: Methodological Extensions to the Analysis of Physician Utilization in Canada," Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis Working Paper Series 1993-03, Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis (CHEPA), McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada.
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Xander Koolman & Andrew M. Jones, 2004. "Explaining income-related inequalities in doctor utilisation in Europe," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 629-647.
- Marc Saez & Carme Saurina & Germà Coenders & Sònia González-Raya, 2006. "Use of primary health care services according to the different degrees of obesity in the Girona Health Region, Spain," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 173-193.
- Carol Propper & Jenny Eachus & Philip Chan & Nicky Pearson & George Davey Smith, 2005. "Access to health care resources in the UK: the case of care for arthritis," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 391-406.
- Morris, Stephen & Sutton, Matthew & Gravelle, Hugh, 2005. "Inequity and inequality in the use of health care in England: an empirical investigation," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(6), pages 1251-1266, March.
- Olsen, Edgar O. & Rogers, Diane Lim, 1991. "The welfare economics of equal access," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 91-105, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:journl:y:2008:v:187:i:4:p:87-106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.