Linking Strategic Interaction and Bargaining Theory: The Harsanyi-Schelling Debate on the Axiom of Symmetry
This paper analyzes the early contributions of John Harsanyi and Thomas C. Schelling to bargaining theory. In the 1950s, Harsanyi draws Nash's solution to two-person cooperative games from the bargaining model proposed by Zeuthen (1930), and Schelling proposes a multifaceted theory of conflict that, without dismissing the assumption of rational behavior, points out some of its paradoxical consequences. Harsanyi's and Schelling's contrasting views on the axiom of symmetry, as postulated by Nash (1950), are then presented. This debate explains why, although in the early 1960s two different approaches to link strategic interaction and bargaining theory were proposed, only Harsanyi's insights were fully developed later.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://www.dukeupress.edu/Catalog/ViewProduct.php?viewby=journal&productid=45614
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rubinstein, Ariel, 1982.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 97-109, January.
- M. Shubik & K. Okuguchi & K. Borchardt & F. Schneider, 1990.
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 207-218, June.
- B. Priddat & G. Tullock & M. Shubik & S. Sheffrin, 1993. "Book reviews," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 57(2), pages 203-213, June.
- M. Shubik & G. Uhlich & M. Kemp & W. Enders & U. Kamecke & G. Fraja & W. Walker & J. Burbidge, 1997. "Book reviews," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 66(2), pages 206-221, June.
- E. Streissler & C. Puppe & M. Pasche & C. Schmidt & I. Vogelsang & F. Schneider & M. Neumann & G. Debelle & P. Welfens, 1999. "Book reviews," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 209-233, June.
- Karen Ehlers & M. Shubik & R. Gardner & G. Tichy & N. Long & F. Scherer & M. Burda & Gerlinde Sinn, 1993. "Book reviews," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(2), pages 203-223, June.
- W. Krelle & M. Badke & F. Schneider & J. Brunner & R. Vaubel & J. Melitz & C. Schmidt & A. Jaeger & D. Elixmann, 1991. "Book reviews," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 95-127, February.
- C. Seidl & D. Archibugi & M. Shubik & M. Peitz & D. Lévy & J. Lothian & G. Hufbauer & C. Lülfesmann & U. Backes-Gellner & P. Moog, 2001. "Book reviews," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 73(2), pages 202-225, June.
- R. Boadway & D. Blanchet & L. Toulemon & S. Estrin & P. Kleindorfer & F. Schneider, 1996. "Book reviews," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 64(2), pages 213-232, June.
- M. Shubik & G. Laan & I. Kubin & E. Dietzenbacher & K. Spremann & U. Schweizer & K. Milford & H. Niida & F. Butschek & K. Rothschild, 1991. "Book reviews," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 299-324, October.
- K. Paqué & J. Hartog & F. Schneider & M. Rauscher & H. Herberg & J. Graf v. d. Schulenburg & P. Schönfeld, 1990. "Book reviews," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 83-98, February.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1957.
"Bargaining in Ignorance of the Opponents' Utility Function,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
46, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1962. "Bargaining in ignorance of the opponent's utility function," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 6(1), pages 29-38, March.
- anonymous, 1961. "Book Reviews," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(2), pages 187-194, January.
- Nicola Giocoli, 2004. "Nash Equilibrium," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 36(4), pages 639-666, Winter.
- Leonard, Robert J, 1994. "Reading Cournot, Reading Nash: The Creation and Stabilisation of the Nash Equilibrium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 492-511, May.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Myerson, Roger, 2001. "Learning Game Theory from John Harsanyi," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 20-25, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521576475 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kreps, David M., 1990. "Game Theory and Economic Modelling," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283812, March.
- Putnam, Robert D., 1988. "Diplomacy and domestic politics: the logic of two-level games," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(03), pages 427-460, June.
- Binmore, Ken & Osborne, Martin J. & Rubinstein, Ariel, 1992.
"Noncooperative models of bargaining,"
Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications,
in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 179-225
- Robert J. Leonard, 1992. "Reading Cournot, Reading Nash / or / The Emergence and Stabilization of the Nash equilibrium," Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM 9214, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- anonymous, 1961. "Book Reviews," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(4), pages 445-454, July.
- anonymous, 1961. "Book Reviews," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(3), pages 316-322, April.
- Harsanyi, John C, 1995.
"Games with Incomplete Information,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 291-303, June.
- Nash, John, 1953. "Two-Person Cooperative Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 21(1), pages 128-140, April.
- anonymous, 1961. "Book Reviews," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(1), pages 109-112, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hop:hopeec:v:40:y:2008:i:1:p:111-132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Center for the History of Political Economy Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.