Seller-Buyer Ethnic Matches: The Case Of Car Transactions At Two North American Auto Dealerships
Using personnel and transaction data obtained from two Canadian auto dealerships, we examine whether ethnic matches between salespersons and customers affectsales prices and the number of units sold by individual salespersons. Regarding prices, we detect neither premium price setting nor discounting among seller-buyer matches of the same ethnic groups relative to those of different ethnic groups. Regarding the number of units sold by individual salespersons, however, we find that, relative to customer demographics, salespersons sell larger quantities to customers of the same ethnic group. Moreover, we find that high-performing salespersons conduct more transactions with customers of the same ethnic group than low-performers, especially in months when business conditions are unfavorable.
Volume (Year): 53 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +81-42-580-8000|
Web page: http://www.econ.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou, 1996. "Dealer Price Discrimination in New Car Purchases: Evidence from the Consumer Expenditure Survey," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 622-54, June.
- Jennifer L. Doleac & Luke C.D. Stein, 2010.
"The Visible Hand: Race and Online Market Outcomes,"
09-015, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- John List, 2004.
"The nature and extent of discrimination in the marketplace: Evidence from the field,"
Natural Field Experiments
00299, The Field Experiments Website.
- John A. List, 2004. "The Nature and Extent of Discrimination in the Marketplace: Evidence from the Field," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 49-89.
- Giuliano, Laura & Levine, David I. & Leonard, Jonathan, 2006.
"Manager Race and the Race of New Hires,"
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series
qt2cb2q1h1, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Ayres, Ian & Siegelman, Peter, 1995. "Race and Gender Discrimination in Bargaining for a New Car," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 304-21, June.
- Harry J. Holzer & Keith R. Ihlanfeldt, 1998.
"Customer Discrimination and Employment Outcomes for Minority Workers,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 835-867.
- H. J. Holzer & K. R. Ihlanfeldt, . "Customer Discrimination and Employment Outcomes for Minority Workers," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1122-97, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hitjec:v:53:y:2012:i:2:p:217-236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.