The Determinants Of Individual Unemployment Duration: The Case Of Malaysian Graduates
This paper estimates determinants of individual unemployment duration of Malaysian graduates. Estimation result suggests that lack of proficiency in English, a mismatch between the type of graduation degree and the requirements for the available jobs in the labor market, family background, state of happiness in overall life, self-expectation on one’s employability and some socio-demographic characteristics (such as ethnicity) are significant determinants of graduate unemployment duration in Malaysia. Specifically, the ‘hypothesis of selection’ in literature of happiness studies is supported; non-English languages proficiency (including Chinese) has no significant impact; and it is imperative to have a realistic self-expectation on one’s employability.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nick Carroll, 2004.
"Explaining Unemployment Duration in Australia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
483, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Grogan, Louise & van den Berg, Gerard J, 1999.
"The Duration of Unemployment in Russia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2268, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tansel, Aysit & Tasci, H. Mehmet, 2004.
"Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1258, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aysit Tansel & H. Mehmet Tasçi, 2004. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey," ERC Working Papers 0404, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Feb 2004.
- Aysit TANSEL & H. Mehmet TASCI, "undated". "Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey," Middle East and North Africa 330400055, EcoMod.
- Aysit Tansel & Mehmet Tasci, 2004. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey," Working Papers 2004/6, Turkish Economic Association.
- Holmlund, B., 1997.
"Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
380, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Hwei-Lin Chuang, 1999. "Estimating the determinants of the unemployment duration for college graduates in Taiwan," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(10), pages 677-681.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1979. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1249-1266, September.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 71-102, October.
- Knut Roed & Tao Zhang, 2003. "Does Unemployment Compensation Affect Unemployment Duration?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(484), pages 190-206, January.
- Edin, Per-Anders, 1989. " Unemployment Duration and Competing Risks: Evidence from Sweden," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(4), pages 639-653.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1979. "Econometric Methods for the Duration of Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 939-956, July.
- Kupets Olga, 2005.
"Determinants of unemployment duration in Ukraine,"
EERC Working Paper Series
05-01e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Michele Pellizzari, 2004.
"Unemployment Duration and the Interactions Between Unemployment Insurance and Social Assistance,"
272, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Pellizzari, Michele, 2006. "Unemployment duration and the interactions between unemployment insurance and social assistance," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 773-798, December.
- Narendranathan, W. & Stewart, M.B., 1989. "Modelling The Probability Of Leaving Unemployment: Competing Risks Models With Flexible Baseline Hazards," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 331, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dawkins, Casey J. & Shen, Qing & Sanchez, Thomas W., 2005. "Race, space, and unemployment duration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 91-113, July.
- Hock-Eam Lim, 2007. "Estimating The Employment Performance Indicator: The Case Of Universiti Utara Malaysia Graduates," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 52(01), pages 73-91.
- Roed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2005. "Unemployment duration and economic incentives--a quasi random-assignment approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1799-1825, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grg:03mngt:v:2:y:2011:i:2:p:184-203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (editor)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.