Experiments in financial liberalization: the Mexican banking sector
Since the liberalization of its trade in the mid-1980s, Mexico has pursued an aggressive globalization strategy, which today makes it the country with the most free trade agreements in the world. This liberalization strategy has also included the banking sector, particularly since 1997, when all restrictions to the entry of foreign banks were removed. The history of the banking sector in Mexico includes episodes of nationalization in 1982, privatization in 1992, and near-complete failure in 1995. Since then, however, the Mexican government has undertaken a series of bold reforms that have contributed to the modernization of its financial system. This paper documents the evolution of Mexico's banking sector starting from its nationalization in 1982 and culminating with the increased entry of foreign banks in recent years that has driven the recovery of bank credit to the private sector.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): Sep ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2000.
"Does Deposit Insurance Increase Banking System Stability? An Empirical Investigation,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1751, Econometric Society.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2002. "Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability? An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1373-1406, October.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 1999. "Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability ? An empirical investigation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2247, The World Bank.
- Gelos, R. Gaston & Werner, Alejandro M., 2002.
"Financial liberalization, credit constraints, and collateral: investment in the Mexican manufacturing sector,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-27, February.
- R. G Gelos & Alejandro M. Werner, 1999. "Financial Liberalization, Credit Constraints, and Collateral; Investment in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," IMF Working Papers 99/25, .
- Elizabeth McQuerry, 1999. "The banking sector rescue in Mexico," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q3, pages 14-29.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique G., 1996.
"Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of a death foretold,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 235-264, November.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1996. "Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of death foretold," International Finance Discussion Papers 545, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Guillermo Zamarripa, 2002.
NBER Working Papers
8848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert V. Bubel & Edward C. Skelton, 2002. "Financial globalization: manna or menace? The case of Mexican banking," Southwest Economy, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Jan, pages 17-19.
- Antoine Martin, 2006.
"Liquidity provision vs. deposit insurance: preventing bank panics without moral hazard,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 28(1), pages 197-211, 05.
- Antoine Martin, 2001. "Liquidity provision vs. deposit insurance : preventing bank panics without moral hazard?," Research Working Paper RWP 01-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Edward C. Skelton, 2006. "Laying the foundation for a mortgage industry in Mexico," Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, vol. 1(oct.).
- Furlong, Frederick T. & Keeley, Michael C., 1989. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 883-891, December.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Gruben, William C. & McComb, Robert P., 2003. "Privatization, competition, and supercompetition in the Mexican commercial banking system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 229-249, February.
- Cull, Robert & Senbet, Lemma W & Sorge, Marco, 2005.
"Deposit Insurance and Financial Development,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 43-82, February.
- Robert V. Bubel & Edward C. Skelton, 2005. "Mexico emerges from 10-year credit slump," Southwest Economy, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue May, pages 14-18.
- Haluk Unal & Miguel Navarro, 1999. "The Technical Process of Bank Privatization in Mexico," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-42, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Daron Acemoglu & James A. Robinson, 2000.
"Why Did the West Extend the Franchise? Democracy, Inequality, and Growth in Historical Perspective,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1167-1199.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Robinson, James A, 1998. "Why did the West Extend the Franchise? Democracy, Inequality and Growth in Historical Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 1797, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elizabeth McQuerry & Marco A. Espinosa-Vega, 1998. "Reviewing Mexico's new bank accounting standards," Economics Update, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Jan, pages 1-3,6.
- Mark Gradstein, 2007. "Inequality, democracy and the protection of property rights," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(516), pages 252-269, 01.
- Negrin, José Luis, 2001. "Mecanismos para compartir información crediticia. Evidencia internacional y la experiencia mexicana," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(271), pages 405-466, julio-sep.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlrv:y:2007:i:sep:p:415-432:n:v.89no.5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.