Recent developments in the analysis of monetary policy rules
After a brief review of key developments in application of monetary theory to policy analysis, Bennett T. McCallum describes the central aspects of the typical framework used to analyze monetary policy rules. He reviews the methods used to study the effects of policy behavior and provides an example of how two rules (the McCallum rule and the Taylor rule) can be used to investigate recent monetary policy in Japan. His example shows why it may be important for central banks to develop monetary policy procedures based on monetary-aggregate as well as interest-rate instruments.
Volume (Year): (1999)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.stls.frb.org/research/order/pubform.html Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fuhrer, Jeff & Moore, George, 1995.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(1), pages 127-59, February.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 1997. "Reducing Inflation: Motivation and Strategy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number rome97-1, November.
- Leonall C. Andersen & Keith M. Carlson, 1970. "A monetarist model for economic stabilization," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Apr, pages 7-25.
- William Kerr & Robert G. King, 1996. "Limits on interest rate rules in the IS model," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 47-75.
- Clarida, R. & Gertler, M., 1996.
"How the Bundesbank Conducts Monetary Policy,"
96-14, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Karl Brunner, 1968. "The role of money and monetary policy," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 8-24.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1985. "Monetary vs. Fiscal Policy Effects: A Review of the Debate," NBER Working Papers 1556, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brayton, Flint & Levin, Andrew & Lyon, Ralph & Williams, John C., 1997. "The evolution of macro models at the Federal Reserve Board," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 43-81, December.
- Leonall C. Andersen & Jerry L. Jordon, 1968. "Monetary and fiscal actions: a test of their relative importance in economic stabilization," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 11-23.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlrv:y:1999:i:nov:p:3-12:n:v.81no.6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.