Gauging the impact of the Great Recession
The Great Recession of 2007–2009, coming on the heels of a spending binge fueled by a housing bubble, so far has resulted in over $7,300 in foregone consumption per person, or about $175 per person per month. The recession has had many costs, including negative impacts on labor and housing markets, and lost government tax revenues. The extensive harm of this episode raises the question of whether policymakers could have done more to avoid the crisis.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): july11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 7702, San Francisco, CA 94120-7702|
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin J. Lansing, 2005. "Spendthrift nation," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue nov10.
- Reuven Glick & Kevin J. Lansing, 2009. "U.S. household deleveraging and future consumption growth," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue may15.
- repec:fip:fedgsq:y:2002:i:nov21 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reuven Glick & Kevin J. Lansing, 2011. "Consumers and the economy, part I: Household credit and personal saving," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue jan10.
- Kevin J. Lansing, 2008. "Monetary policy and asset prices," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue oct31.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2002. "Deflation: making sure "it" doesn't happen here," Speech 530, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedfel:y:2011:i:july11:n:2011-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noah Pollaczek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.