Fiscal policies in highly unequal societies: implications for agricultural growth
The paper discusses the economic effects of misallocation of public expenditures in favor of private goods rather than public goods. It first lays out certain key hypotheses regarding the consequences of the apparent public sector allocation inefficiency and the factors that explain this phenomenon. It then discusses existing empirical evidence that lends at least indirect support to these hypotheses. Finally, it presents new empirical evidence for the rural sector in Latin America which documents the extent of the misallocation of public expenditures, its consequences for agricultural growth and rural poverty, and the role of certain key politico-institutional factors in explaining the misallocation.
Volume (Year): 4 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Agricultural Sector in Economic Development Service FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shenggen Fan & Peter Hazell & Sukhadeo Thorat, 2000. "Government Spending, Growth and Poverty in Rural India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 1038-1051.
- Bergström, Fredrik, 1998. "Capital Subsidies and the Performance of Firms," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 285, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ke-young Chu & Hamid R Davoodi & Sanjeev Gupta, 2000. "Income Distribution and Tax and Government Social Spending Policies in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 00/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994.
"Returns to investment in education: A global update,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993. "Returns to investment in education : a global update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1067, The World Bank.
- Lee, Jong-Wha, 1996. "Government Interventions and Productivity Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 391-414, September.
- Barbara Fakin, 1995. "Investment Subsidies during Transition," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 33(5), pages 62-74, October.
- Chu, K.-y. & Davoodi, H. & Gupta, S., 2000. "Income Distribution and Tax, and Government Social Spending Policies in Developing Countries," Research Paper 214, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Allcott, Hunt & Lederman, Daniel & Lopez, Ramon, 2006. "Political institutions, inequality, and agricultural growth : the public expenditure connection," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3902, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fao:tejade:v:4:y:2007:i:1:p:123-145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.