Output Gap Estimation Uncertainty: Extracting the TFP Cycle Using an Aggregated PMI Series
The concepts of potential growth and the output gap are important components in assessing the business cycle and productive capacity of an economy. However, being unobservable, these measures must be estimated. The Fiscal Compact will result in these concepts being used to judge EU Member States adherence to budgetary rules. Therefore, it is vital that the methods applied for their estimation are as accurate as possible. A bivariate Kalman Filter (KF) model using capacity utilisation (CU) as the second series has been proven to produce more reliable estimates of the Total Factor Productivity (TFP) cycle than the Hodrick Prescott (HP) filter methodology formerly used for this task. However, CU data is no longer collected in Ireland. Given the large turning point in the TFP series as a result of the financial crisis, this may no longer be the first-best approach for future TFP cycle estimation. This paper compares the existing method to an approach which uses an aggregated Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) series as the second series in the bivariate KF model. This approach has the advantage that PMI data is collected on an on-going basis. The results show that PMI shares a common cycle with TFP, and that this new approach leads to a reduction in the total estimation error variance and revisions required to TFP cycle estimates.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Graff & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2010.
"The Information Content of Capacity Utilisation Rates for Output Gap Estimates,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3276, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael Graff & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2010. "The Information Content of Capacity Utilization Rates for Output Gap Estimates," KOF Working papers 10-269, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Maier, Philipp, 2011. "Forecasting economic growth in the euro area during the Great Moderation and the Great Recession," Working Paper Series 1379, European Central Bank.
- Planas, C. & Roeger, W. & Rossi, A., 2013. "The information content of capacity utilization for detrending total factor productivity," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 577-590.
- Evan F. Koenig & Sheila Dolmas & Jeremy Piger, 2000.
"The use and abuse of "real-time" data in economic forecasting,"
0004, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Evan F. Koenig & Sheila Dolmas & Jeremy Piger, 2003. "The Use and Abuse of Real-Time Data in Economic Forecasting," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 618-628, August.
- Evan F. Koenig & Sheila Dolmas & Jeremy Piger, 2000. "The use and abuse of "real-time" data in economic forecasting," International Finance Discussion Papers 684, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Evan Koenig & Sheila Dolmas & Jeremy M. Piger, 2002. "The use and abuse of 'real-time' data in economic forecasting," Working Papers 2001-015, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Pierce, David A., 1980. "Data revisions with moving average seasonal adjustment procedures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 95-114, September.
- Francesca D'Auria & CÃ©cile Denis & Karel Havik & Kieran Mc Morrow & Christophe Planas & Rafal Raciborski & Werner Roger & Alessandro Rossi, 2010. "The production function methodology for calculating potential growth rates and output gaps," European Economy - Economic Papers 420, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Agustín Maravall & Cristophe Planas, 1996.
"Estimation Error and the Specification of Unobserved Component Models,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
9608, Banco de Espa�a.
- Maravall, Agustin & Planas, Christophe, 1999. "Estimation error and the specification of unobserved component models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 325-353, October.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999.
"Estimation of the Business Cycle: a Modified Hodrick-Prescott Filter,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
9912, Banco de Espa�a.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Estimation of the business cycle: A modified Hodrick-Prescott filter," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 175-206.
- Planas, Christophe & Rossi, Alessandro & Fiorentini, Gabriele, 2008. "Bayesian Analysis of the Output Gap," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 18-32, January.
- Christophe Planas & Werner Roeger & Alessandro Rossi, 2010. "Does capacity utilisation help estimating the TFP cycle?," European Economy - Economic Papers 410, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Evan F. Koenig, 2002. "Using the Purchasing Managers' Index to assess the economy's strength and the likely direction of monetary policy," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:44:y:2013:i:1:p:1-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.