Inflation and Money Growth - Evidence from a Multi-Country Data-Set
Using a multi-country data set strong correlation are found between average growth rates of monetary aggregates and average inflation. The correlation remains strong when countries with higher average inflation rates are removed from the sample. These results confirm the strong correlation found in the traditional literature but contradict those in De Grauwe and Polan (2001) who, in a recent analysis, find that the strong link vanishes when higher inflation countries are excluded. Further analysis confirms the unit response and bears out the value of monetary aggregates as an input to the making of monetary policy.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerald P. Dwyer & R. W. Hafer, 1999. "Are money growth and inflation still related?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q2, pages 32-43.
- Nelson, Edward, 2003.
"The future of monetary aggregates in monetary policy analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1029-1059, July.
- Nelson, Edward, 2003. "The Future of Monetary Aggregates in Monetary Policy Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 3897, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George T. McCandless & Warren E. Weber, 1995. "Some monetary facts," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 2-11.
- Laurence H. Meyer, 2001. "Does money matter?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 1-16.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993.
"A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Tom Doan, . "SWDOLS: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using dynamic OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00207, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James A. Dorn, 2003. "Introduction," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 23(1), pages 1-9, Spring/Su.
- John C. Frain, 2004.
"Inflation and Money Growth - Evidence from a Multi-Country Data-Set,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(3), pages 251-266.
- Frain, John C., 2003. "Inflation and Money Growth: Evidence from a Multi-Country Data-Set," Research Technical Papers 7/RT/03, Central Bank of Ireland.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Polan, Magdalena, 2001. "Is Inflation Always and Everywhere a Monetary Phenomenon?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2841, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul De Grauwe & Magdalena Polan, 2001. "Is Inflation Always and Everywhere a Monetary Phenomenon?," International Economics Working Papers Series wpie009, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, International Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:35:y:2004:i:3:p:251-266. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.